wild bird food as a treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mika4me, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    I know it wouldn't substitute for chicken feed, but can chickens eat wild bird food as a treat? It seems like it would be nutritious, with all those different seeds and grains...

2. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine love it. I always throw a handful into the run when I am filling my bird feeder. They know the sound when I take the lid off the bird seed container and come charging to the fence. Silly girls

3. lvesdg1

lvesdg1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2009
    St Petersburg
    i have been mixing the chicken feed with wild bird seed since i got mine they love it.... kinda makes me feel bad for them to eat the same stuff everyday.[​IMG]

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

My chickens run directly to the wild bird feeder every morning when I let them out of the coop. They love cleaning up everything the wild birds drop including the nijer seed I feed to the finches.

5. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I feed wild bird seed for a treat. I keep it in an old fish food cylinder made of plastic. When I pick it up and shake it even a tiny bit, ALL my silkies (7) line up at the opening and look up expectantly. It almost looks like a line of preschoolers just before storytime. TOOOOOO FUNNY! Then when I sprinkle it on the floor, there's a feeding frenzy that would scare a shark to death! I just love watching them!

6. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Every morning mine use to run strait to the bird feeder. Unfortunatly the bird feeder was in my neighbors yard so now I have to keep them penned up [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    Okay, great! I'm looking forward to trying it. It is so much fun to watch them run after treats. [​IMG]

9. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use it as scratch. When I clean the barn in the morning, I throw a scoop of birdseed mixed with feed pellets out into their run. They dash out of the barn to get it, which leaves me with a chicken-free barn that I can clean without chickens getting in the way. [​IMG]

Since I have lots of bantams, I get birdseed that has either really tiny sunflower seeds or hulled regular size ones, since bantams have a hard time with the big seeds and tough shells. My local supermarket sells a cheap but nutritious blended seed with tiny sunflower seeds, wheat, milo, corn and millet. It even has pulverized calcium carbonate (good for laying hens).

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It seems like it would be nutritious, with all those different seeds and grains

It's only about 8% protein.
    It's big advantage is it's cheap most of the time, but it's nothing special nutritionally​

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by