Wild Bird Mites AHHH......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Love my Critters!, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    A month or so ago, we had a pair of swallows start building a nest by our back door, under our porch. My husband and I were going to knock it down because we didn't want to deal with all the poo. Well, we felt sorry for them because they had worked so hard and decided to let them stay. A few days ago we had an outbreak of THOUSANDS of bird mites. I had to relocate the young birds in a hanging basket (they could fly) and take down the nest. Those tiny mites are getting on us, by the hundreds, and the dogs and cats. Yuck!!!! Today a pest control guy is coming to power spray the outside of the home and spray the inside. I have to wash all bedding and bathe the dogs and cats. My 12 year old cats are not going to be happy.

I had no idea this could happen. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. [​IMG] I just wanted to let everyone know that this could happen. Has anyone had to deal with this before? By the way, so far my chickens are safe, because they are in the far pasture of the property and I have DE on all the bedding and dust bathing spots.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    [​IMG] sorry!

3. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I peeked in at a sparrow nest once and they swarmed me in droves (my bangs must have actually touched the nest when I leaned in) and I ran straight to the shower! I felt itchy for days like things were crawling on me. Luckily it didn't spread any further, I really had no idea they could live on other species!
    Ack! [​IMG]

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Well from researching they can get on other species and bite, but with out bird blood they can not reproduce, and they will not be able to live for more than about 4 weeks. But with those nasty little critters, 4 weeks is an eternity!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    we had that happen also....we had a little house we hung on our front stoop...and we would watch the babies through the door wiindow..aww!!..so cute!..[​IMG]...till they all got big enough to leave the nest....and one day my husband decides to move the house..he was swarmed with them also!!...[​IMG]...we learned our lesson about putting the houses close to our house!...[​IMG]...i was wondering can my chickens get those things???Wendy

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    4 weeks sure would feel like an eternity! A couple days would be more than long enough for me to want them exterminated. Hope they get every last one!

7. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I just got home from work about 15 minutes ago, and there are hundreds of birds in our trees.
    They are near the chicken yard. I hope they move outa' here soon! The birds are starting to flock early this year. Not sure it's a good thing ...

8. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    ACK!!!!! So so so sorry!! [​IMG]

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    ugh! [​IMG]

This makes me worry. We have a fiberglass roof on our deck, and songbirds put their nests in the eaves. They drop nesting material all over the deck in Spring as they fly through. They come back to this same spot year after year; I think there are five nests this year.

Thank goodness! we got rid of the 2 nests they were trying to build in the overhang right over my chair and our bedroom door.

I think we'll have to take a good look at those nests because I am planning to allow chickens to hang out with me on the deck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by