Wild Bird Thread!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken0Boy, May 15, 2010.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Does any one here like wild birds such as cardinals, grosbeaks, nuthatches, martins, humming birds, etc! I do! If you do give some comments on how you feed them, house them, and/or anything! I really love birds, so i thought I'd try to make a thread! Post pics too!

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. Chicken0Boy

Nobody...well..... [​IMG]

8. No Bumping or Cross-posting topics. Bumping is posting to move a thread up on the forum list, and cross-posting is posting the same thread in several forums​

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I saw a rose-breasted grosbeak yesterday---so pretty!
    I have not fed the birds since moving out here 6 years ago, but I used to be really into it.
    We have a lot of the usual,plus I've heard hermit and wood thrushes this spring, and have seen the elusive pileated woodpecker--such a treat!

4. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I LOVE the wild birds! I just moved way out into the woods and love seeing the different birds that show up. The woodpeckers come for my suet and have such funny attitudes, the chickadees are so used to me, that they'll eat with my standing RIGHT in front of them, the Titmice, Nuthatches, I even love Blue Jays, which for some reason some people don't like. Lately I've been seeing an Indigo Bunting at my platform feeder. Amazingly BLUE! My ex-boyfriend, who I'm still friends with, didn't believe me. He said they hardly ever go to feeders and are rarely seen by people, etc. I loved it when I finally got pics of him at my feeder and he had to eat his words!

5. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Oh, forgot that I've also seen goldfinches and indigo butings lately. Always tons of titmice, cardinals,bluejays, plus phoebes. Those are just the ones I see without trying. I'm sure there's tons more. My bedroom window looks out on a heavily wooded area with a creek running through it. Prime habitat.

6. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    I like to put a thistle seed feeder out for the finches. We've had quite a few this year. Suet blocks for the other wild birds in winter and seed blocks in summer. We have a lot of robins, blue jays, downy woodpeckers, catbirds, sparrows, and some cardinals. Then there's always the wild turkeys, they love coming around for acorns and crab apples.

7. Chicken0Boy

Quote:I made a mistake on the color! Sorry to cause an uproar [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:You're right ChickenOBoy, I don't believe it. My Smithsonian Bird handbook clearly shows it as blue, and if you do an internet search for pics of Indigo Buntings, all the pics are clearly blue. What is your source that they are black?? [​IMG]

9. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:You're right ChickenOBoy, I don't believe it. My Smithsonian Bird handbook clearly shows it as blue, and if you do an internet search for pics of Indigo Buntings, all the pics are clearly blue. What is your source that they are black?? [​IMG]

Maybe it's like the green sheen on cayugas? They are black but have a blue sheen?

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    When doing a search, it states the female is brown?

I have never seen any of those bunting birds...where are they seen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by