Wild birds eating chicken feed

blondiebee181

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Boise, ID
Okay so I have a wild bird feeder out (that's always swamped with birds) But recently they have discovered that they can get through the chainlink of our chicken run and eat their feed and drink their water....my main question is if they will spread diseases by doing this? Should I be worried? I don't really mind them eating it, they don't eat that much. Also my hens have been cleaning up under the bird feeder where the sparrows fling the seed out since the day they started living outside and no-one's sick yet...any thoughts?

I'm far from an expert so as far as diseases maybe. I do know that the wild birds will pass on mites and such. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in shortly.

This was discussed under predators and pests, at the it was a non issue but now that fall is here, I seem to have absorbed 5 wild doves into my flock (they even go into the coop if the door is open)- they poop alot and eat at the feeders/ drink out of the waterers. Also little finches (?) they are like teeny tiny sparrows.. are now coming through the chicken yard daily and pecking about- they squeeze right through the holes in the fence!

So yes I would like info too (ex, what bout the avian flu fears that was going on a few years back? Could my birds get sick from wild birds?)...

Last edited:
Okay so I have a wild bird feeder out (that's always swamped with birds) But recently they have discovered that they can get through the chainlink of our chicken run and eat their feed and drink their water....my main question is if they will spread diseases by doing this? Should I be worried? I don't really mind them eating it, they don't eat that much. Also my hens have been cleaning up under the bird feeder where the sparrows fling the seed out since the day they started living outside and no-one's sick yet...any thoughts?

Yes canker can be passed from what I have read, as well as other diseases. You DON'T want the wild birds coming around your chickens. I recommend a treadle feeder if you really have a problem, or go to feeding twice a day what they will clean up in a half hour or so.

I would place your bird feeder where your chickens can't get to it. Mites can reside in the area, having jumped off the wild birds.

Just my opinion!

This was discussed under predators and pests, at the it was a non issue but now that fall is here, I seem to have absorbed 5 wild doves into my flock (they even go into the coop if the door is open)- they poop alot and eat at the feeders/ drink out of the waterers. Also little finches (?) they are like teeny tiny sparrows.. are now coming through the chicken yard daily and pecking about- they squeeze right through the holes in the fence!

So yes I would like info too (ex, what bout the avian flu fears that was going on a few years back? Could my birds get sick from wild birds?)...

http://www.avianweb.com/sickbirdsinthegarden.html
Here you go!

Back
Top Bottom