Wild birds eating my chickens' food!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ebifish, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ebifish

ebifish New Egg

Sep 20, 2013
    Hi, There is a good size flock (40-50) of small wild birds in my neighborhood. They seem to like my and one of my neighbors' yards as we dont have a dog. I didnt think of it as too big of a problem until I noticed that many of them come down and eat from my chicken feeder. I keep a galvanized feeder in the chicken run as there is no room in their enclosed coop. The enclosed coop is 4'x2.5'x2.5' and is raised 2' off the ground.

I'm worried if I move their food inside their coop the wild birds will still find it and spend time inside the coop with my girls and become more of an issue. I already have some bird deterrent reflective tape up around their run and it doesnt seem to help against the little birds. Does anyone have any tips? or just deal with it and buy enough foor for my flock and my neighborhood flock?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is something called a treadle feeder which keeps most wild birds out. It is set up so that the chicken has to step on a treadle to gain access to the feed. You set it so that wild birds are not heavy enough to open it. I think they are available commercially. There are several threads and articles on BYV about them; just put the words in the general search at the top and submit. Here is one article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/building-a-treadle-chicken-feeder

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I'am having the same problem.I put the hanging feeder in their coops and the pesky birds still found it.i have welded wire and poultry wire over that,they can fly right through the 1'' hole.[​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Some people put strips of plastic on the coop door, or one of those plastic pet doors, the chickens will learn to use them, but usually small birds won't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by