1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wild Birds in my Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Luanna, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Luanna

Luanna Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2014
    Independence, Ky
    Good afternoon, I need some help.

I have wild birds coming into my coop and eating my seed. Not to mention the mess!! My coop has a small door for the girls to get to the run.
    My run has chicken wire so I knew they could get in there but now they are coming inside!
    What can be done to keep them out?

2. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Perhaps netting around and over the run. Now that they know there is food, it will take alot to keep em out.

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I have been having the same problem.It has helped to put netting up.but I still have birds finding their way in.they can fly through a 1 inch opening.I have six runs and its hard to plug every little hole.

4. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave up and just put up a couple of bird feeders for the wild birds that are in the trees about 100 feet from the coop & run. That's helped a lot.

5. JeanM

JeanM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    My coop & run have been invaded by wild birds. They're not there for the scratch, as far as I can tell (they have their own feeder about 20' away). They use the heated water bowl as their bird bath and like the shelter of the coop. Mostly starlings, some English sparrows, seem the main culprits.

Would one of those owl statues be effective at deterring the wild ones, without freaking out my girls? Once the snowbanks melt (if ever!), I'll work on blocking the openings the birds are using, but in the interim... any solutions?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

There are treadle feeders on the market that wild birds can not eat feed out of. Once the source of food is gone birds will have to go else where to eat.

I don't know what to do about the birds and their bathing habits.....

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I would look into the bird netting also.

The type they put around fruit trees.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jules713

Jules713 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2015
    Texas
    I free range my chickens and I also have trouble with cardinals eating their food. My chickens will run them off if they are near, but sometimes I feel like I'm feeding the cardinals more than my chickens. Luckily my kitten I rescued is starting to catch them. He's about two months old and already has caught 3. I just wish he would stop brining them in the house.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

A bird in the house (trash) is one less bird in the chicken feeder.

10. JeanM

JeanM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Jules, would a wild bird feeder with safflower &/or sunflower be doable? I love my cardinals, and they haven't been MY problem. If my cats would just catch the blasted squirrel that also hangs out in the coop but likes to raid the wild bird feeder, and those obnoxious starlings that have taken over the coop... but my barn cats are too old, I guess, to be bothered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by