Wild Birds keep Eating My Duck Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SAM1646, Oct 6, 2010.

1. SAM1646

SAM1646 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Washington Twp, Mi
    I have wild sparrow eating all my duck feed and the feed for my chickens any suggestions. I fed the ducks in the moring in the dog house that I have for them and all the bird go in there and eat it. I also place some food in a dog bowl for them and they eat that to????? darn Birds!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I had a problem with wild birds eating my chicken feed too. I fixed the problem with a variety of methods, but mostly making a curtain that the chickens could get through but not most wild birds--although it didn't keep out sparrows. You can look at how I did it down towards the bottom of my BYC page. Last week or so someone from MI was making a similar curtain out of heavy duty transparent vinyl. I think that would work to keep the sparrows out. You can also build a treadle feeder and you can find plans for that by following the link at the top of my BYC page. Good luck!

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    try keeping a flock of 30-38 wild Black Bellied Tree Ducks out of the duck food! I am invaded every dawn and dusk by these roving thieves and it is almost impossible to keep them away...they eat a lot, poop a lot and intimidate my domestic ducks...they are pretty and I know they have to eat but geez! My ducks huddle up in a corner while they are being home invaded and robbed...

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Wow! That must be something to see and a bit intimidating to your ducks.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have a major problem with house sparrows eating my chickens' food....about 50 of them. However, their numbers are seriously declining in the British Isles, so I think that I have a breeding programme for them!

As well as feeding, they now roost in a hydrangea plant along my wall,and nest all around the house and in the barn.

I would say they take 40-50% of my birds' feed.......oh well.

Sandie

6. SAM1646

SAM1646 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Washington Twp, Mi
    I guess that Im out of luck!!! Thanks you guys at least i'm not the only one buyig feed for the poopy bird!!! YUKKKKK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by