Wild birds raid feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by runningkaren, Jan 26, 2013.

1. runningkaren

runningkaren Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    South Central PA
    I would welcome any ideas to rid my duck hut of raiding wild birds. My hut has a full size "person" door that is open all day so my ducks can come and go. This allows my ducks shelter and easy access to their feed. The problem is it also allows the same for wild birds. They are eating all the duck pellets and filthing (is that a word?) up the hut. It seems to me any opening large enough for the ducks will allow entry to these thieves. Help?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats why I put in Pop doors into the big human doors, if I leave the big doors open i have seen the wild birds go inside if the pop door is only open they aren't as brave not being able to see whats on the other side. So that maybe an option for you.

3. runningkaren

May 13, 2008
    South Central PA
    Sorry, just what do you call a "Pop" door?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's a small door that only the ducks can come and go through that locks to keep them safe at night. mine opens from the bottom and latches open then at night after everyone is inside i close the pop door and latch it so preds can't get through. I'll see if I can find a pic.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/193069/post-your-pop-door-and-lock-pics

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. runningkaren

May 13, 2008
    South Central PA
    Gotcha! I have those on my chicken coop and they do seem to limit the numbers. On that coop, the doors are wood and simply slide up and out to open and down at night. My duck's door is open weave screen so it will be a trick to do this but you are probably right. It is the best way. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by