Wild Birds

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by RodneyD, Jan 25, 2009.

1. RodneyD

RodneyD New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    Hi all
    I just subscribed as a new member. I don't even know if I want to raise chickens, but I've got this problem with about 15 of them, including 4 cocks and a number of younger ones, in my yard. It appears that these were birds from a brood somewhere in the neighborhood, where quite a number of cockfight enthusiasts live. Two years ago the authorities closed down the cockfighting ring and hauled the owner off to jail. My yard, which is full of fruit treas, seems to be a natural environment for them. A large part of it is not landscaped, and I have large trees just 5 meters from the house. I also have a 10-foot wide walk-around porch.

Needless to say, the chickens have been laying their eggs all over the place, roosting in the trees, and getting fat in the yard teeming with pickings for birds. The mess is becoming unbearable, and so is the noise. I thought about going to one of the cockfight guys to get them to come for the birds, but can't bring myself to do so after a year of cleaning up bird poo off my porch every morning. I've had to keep my dog on a leash permanently to keep her from slaughtering the poor chicks running around the yard.

Well, it wasn't my intention but it seems that the best solution is to build them a coop. Raising chickens used to be an expected chore when I was a very young boy growing up, but I can't remember anything about dealing with wild ones, or constructing a coop. My kids and I also can't bear the thought of killing and eating the things either, even if I knew how to catch them. I just wondered if any of you have any advice for me. I live on the Caribbean island of St. Maarten with warm tropical climate year-round. I'm have most of the tools needed to construct anything from wood, as cabinet-making is one of my hobbies.

2. ChickenDreamer

ChickenDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Northern Ontario
    Hi Rodney.....[​IMG]

There is tons of good information on this site. Look in the coops section for ideas. I think catching them will be the tricky part!
    !

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    If you know where they are roosting, then catch them at night while they are sleeping.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

So glad to have you here!

If you're planning on gathering them up and keeping them in a coop of your own, it might be a good idea to keep only one or two roosters. It's recommended to have about ten hens for each rooster in the flock. Otherwise, the roosters tend to fight over the hens, which can lead to injuries and stress for the entire flock.

Another BYCer recommended that you check out the Coop Designs pages. You'll find plenty of ideas and thoughts on construction there. The Learning Center is a good place to read up on some of the essential basics.

Of course, there are plenty of categories here in the forum for you to read and ask questions. Our community is really welcoming and helpful, so I'm sure you'll find the advice and answers you need in no time.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum! [​IMG]

5. RodneyD

RodneyD New Egg

Jan 25, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. The chickens are roosting right in the fruit trees, and I think the volume of fresh droppings are affecting the crops. If I build the coop, won't they just use it and negate the need for me to catch them?

6. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I dont think that they will just go into the coop all on their own... I have two wild birds.. they wont go in there .. they sleep in the trees too.. You might build a coop with a top and all.. Catch them put them in there for a long time... that way they get used to it.. then free range them again.. you might still have to catch them..

How many are you speaking of?

What a way to enter into chickens.. LOL...

But you found your way to the right place! This is one of the best groups of people!

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

[​IMG]

8. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Why cant i have any wild games in my neck of the woods . I have to go shows and hunt people down !

9. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I only see three solutions to your problem. 1, kill them, 2, put an add in the local paper for free chickens, you (the person getting them) catch, or 3, build an enclosed coop with a covered run to keep them in. One thing about game chickens is that they will return to the trees unless you lock them in a pen so they cannot get out. Even locking them in their coop for weeks, when they are turned loose they will eventually return to the trees unless you keep them in a run that is covered so they cannot fly out. imho.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  10. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

You're in an interesting situation... Hopefully, your fruit trees aren't very tall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by