Wild birds

CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Crowing
7 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Indiana
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to kill or get rid of wild birds? there are sparrows, black birds, and pigeons in my barn and I dont wan them giving my chickens diseases.

I think it would be better for everyone if you scared the birds away rather than killing them.

You might try an owl statue to scare away the birds. If you place one on each side of the barn near the roof, I think they will scare away all the birds.

I think it would be better for everyone if you scared the birds away rather than killing them.

You might try an owl statue to scare away the birds. If you place one on each side of the barn near the roof, I think they will scare away all the birds.
I said or get rid of. I am an animal lover but the well being of my pets comes before wild animals. I know may people who have tried the statue and it didnt work. Also machienes that make owl and hawk sounds and that dosent work either. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I would try rubber snakes. They usually get rid of birds.
this reminded me of a funny story. i went to my grandmas one day and there was a snake on her porch. I was with my mom and wanted to go touch it. She didnt want me too so I threw one shoe at it and then the other. I finally went up as my mom is still freaking out and said it fake. She asked if I was sure I said ya nad went to pick it up. She was yelling not to pick it up. ithrew it at her it was really funny. But it didnt scare away the birds :(

What about putting up a Purple Marten house on a pole? I know they will chase away crows. Will they chase away the other birds that you want gone?

I spelled the name incorrectly. It is Purple Martin.

Purple Martins are birds. Purple Martin houses are bird houses that people place on tall poles. They are popular with farmers because Purple Martins eat bugs and chase away crows.

Just type Purple Martin houses on Google and you will see. You can even use gourds to make Purple Martin houses.

Purple Martins may not chase away sparrows and pigeons, though.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to kill or get rid of wild birds? there are sparrows, black birds, and pigeons in my barn and I dont wan them giving my chickens diseases.

Your best bet would be to remove them; it can be tough to kill them once they realize what is up. Never use poisons, as they surely kill non-target species as well.

Pigeons and sparrows (are the black birds starlings?) mostly move into and stay in an area for three reasons. If you can get rid of their reasons for staying, you will get most of them to move on.

- Food... try to remove access to food. If they are feeding on seed and grains that you are feeding your chickens, consider trying treadle feeders (search "treadle feeder" on the forum). Or you can create an enclosed area that only the chickens have access to, and offer chicken feed there and only there.
Food sources are pretty much the biggest draw that these birds have to an area. Limiting or removing easy food will really reduce the problem. If you can find out what they are eating, you can start to figure out solutions to removing that food source from them.

-Safe roost. Barns are a very safe roosting area for these birds. This is a much harder issue to deal with. Some people have success with tack strips (essentially strips of nails or other pointy objects facing upward) in their rafters. This prevents the birds from landing and sitting there. Others have cut ribbons and foil and hung these in the areas where the birds roost to scare them off. Owl decoys can work but be aware that the birds eventually get used to them.

-Safe nesting areas. This one sort of goes with the safe roosting areas. Any place they can nest safely is very attractive to them! Pigeons and house sparrows are not protected by law and it is completely legal to remove nests and destroy them. If you notice areas that are regularly used to nest, you can consider placing nail strips or whatever other objects you have handy in those spots to make them unsuitable for nesting.

There are a lot of sparrow traps out there, too. You will find a ton of plans for them online if you search for DIY sparrow trap.

Ok thank you. the black birds might be starlings but I am not 100% sure. there was a period of time when I had NO animals at all in my barn and there was no feed and they still stuck around. I think scraps of food is just a perk for them lol. I will look up the feeders and traps. And thank you for the links!

Back
Top Bottom