Wild birdseed anyone?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WildHorseMountain, Oct 28, 2011.

1. WildHorseMountain

WildHorseMountain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Forgive me if this subject has already been brought up, but I couldn't find anything on the forum about it. I make my own treat mix for my chickens and I use a good quality wild birdseed as just one of the ingredients in the mix, just wondering if anyone else uses this? I've been feeding it to them as an evening treat since they were old enough to eat it. They love the birdseed above everything I've ever fed them, they will knock each other out of the way running/flying when I call them home to their coop for the evening. I was just wondering if anyone else feeds this to their chickens as a treat? They especially go bonkers for the little millet seed in the mix. Thanks.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've never made my own treats before. I always buy cracked corn or scratch grains. My husband would feed our wee little Modern Game bantams birdseed, and they just loved it!

A friend of mine suggested I feed them black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS), and I tried that, but they really weren't interested. Maybe I should have bought the shelled kind.....

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine get bird seed occasionally. Also they have access to what the birds drop.

Imp

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    This time of the year I'll pick up a bag of the "no waste" or "sprout-less" bird seed.

It's mostly BOSS that's had the shells removed and it has some small nuts and cracked corn in it. The beauty of putting it in a bird feeder, is that the seeds they miss won't sprout in the yard.

It's obviously more than regular BOSS but I just toss out a hand full for the hens in the morning like scratch. Give them something to hunt and peck for and I know they are getting a high protein snack as the weather turns cool and they are molting.

5. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use wild bird seed as scratch all the time. When it's on sale where I work it's much less than scratch. I think the biggest difference is the lack of corn. I usually mix BOSS in with it. They like it just as much as the scratch if not more.

I used to dump my house bird's feed cup out and they would eat the seeds or what would sprout from them. They loved the sprouts. I then had some rats take up residence under and around the house and stopped in case that's what brought them in. Thankfully the owls and a few traps have taken care of the rats.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Most wild bird seed is mostly millet, and that's great for chickens. [​IMG] I also get millet sprays (the millet still on the stalk) and hang those from binder clips--it's food AND a toy.

7. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Cool, thanks! The birdseed is the foundation of my mix, I add a little BOSS, scratch, and cracked corn tossed in and mixed up and stored in buckets. Sometimes I add things like showbird manna or rolled oats. So would it hurt to add Gamebird food to it too? I read the ingredients and looks like lots of really good stuff in it. They also love any sprouts they find, I like that, It's good for them. See, I have this obsession, I really, really, really like dark egg yolks, and so I want them to get all the nutrients they need! So far, everything's working great...lovin' my eggs!

8. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    pawsplus: Most wild bird seed is mostly millet, and that's great for chickens. smile I also get millet sprays (the millet still on the stalk) and hang those from binder clips--it's food AND a toy.

Lol, that wouldn't last but a few seconds with my little piranhas! They won't eat food scraps of any kind, they're spoiled I guess [​IMG] I will have to try the millet sprays sometime just for fun to see what they do!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  9. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    BOSS for my hens is like Crack for humans. [​IMG]
    All I have to do is shake the cup I have the BOSS in and they come runnin from all parts of the yard.

I made my first flock block on Wednesday, took them a hour & a half to finish it, was not as hard as I wanted, but they loved it, even the dogs were trying to get some. [​IMG]

I soaked 3 slices of bread in milk, mixed a cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of corn meal & cream of wheat, a cup of wild bird seed, craisins & a small box of raisins. Poured a 1/2 cup of the dry stuff into a jar of peanut butter that just had some left in the jar and stirred it around. Put it in a bowl & added the milky bread to the dry and mixed it together with my hands (will add a egg next time to help bind it better.)

Put it in a greased round baking dish, smushed it down firm & set the micro for 3 min, then 5 min, then an additional 5 min. Could have given it another 3 - 5 min, but it was getting hard. Stuck it in the freezer for 10 min, flipped it on a paper plate & back in the freezer for another 10 min. Then took it out to the girls, who surrounded it like Indians surrounding a wagon train. [​IMG]

I want to make one thick enough & firm enough to keep them busy on very cold days that they don't want to come outside. So they do not pick on each other when they are stuck in the coop.

10. WildHorseMountain

Jun 21, 2011
    E. Oklahoma
    Mommy 2 Wee Ones, what a cool idea!!! Im gonna have to try this out and see what they think of that, thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by