1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wild Cherries

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ginasmarans, Jul 6, 2008.

1. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    We have a wild cherry tree that is loaded with fruit. The fruit is so small,I'm wondering if there is any human use for them.

2. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    I am not sure if the cherries themselves contain cyanide but from what I hear the leaves and twig do. From what I understand they are fatal to livestock.
    I have never eaten any wild cherries. There are several different varities so do some major reasearch first.
    We definately do not want anyone poisoned.
    If you find something different please post. I would be interested to know myself.

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Im wondering what your calling a wild cherry. We have some cherry trees we always called wild, but I'm not real sure they weren't domestic cherries gone wild. The cherries were about the size of my ring finger fingernail. We use to pit them and make pies. Alot of pitting work, but the pies were great.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We have shelves full of foraging books. I looked up Prunus avium (make sure that's what you're calling a "wild cherry") in a couple, and both said the ripe fruits do not contain cyanide and are edible. Other parts of the tree do contain cyanide. It's not native to North America, but has become naturalized here.

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    We make jelly out of the tiny Hawthorne fruits that we harvest from our trees. There are tons of jelly recipes online, or you could try making fruit leather out of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by