Wild cherry and Black walnut trees.....ok??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jamband, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    is there a problem? i use a rotational paddock system and one paddock has a large wild cherry. I have read about toxicity but will the chickens eat enough of anything toxic to worry about it? What about black walnuts? There are several in the mix.

Thanks

2. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    My chickens eat the wild pin cherries that we have in my backyard. I have a small flock and there are three or more large trees that drop berries and they seem fine with it. The wild birds and squirrels enjoy them too, so I don't think they could be toxic.

I would just observe the wild animals and see if they eat them, or stay clear. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have both kinds of trees in my chicken yards and they free range around a lot more in the pastires. In all the years I have had chickens, I have not lost one to wild cherries or black walnut or Mulberry or even Chinaberries. We also have Night Shade that they go under and that hasn't killed anyone either.
    I am pretty sure they know what is right and what is wrong to eat unless they are starving and can't get to anything else.

4. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    great.....I sort of figured but wanted to be sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by