wild chick storey,,, strange and true... poor baby......

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jkm, Jun 23, 2008.

1. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    So I am an true urban chicken keeper... two buffies ,, two barreds went to the feed store for rehoming due to screaming, last week .

I brought home three gold stars, four weeks and one buffie... all died this week one at time..... we we very sad, despite fantastic care,,, feed store said a cat had been in the run and most likeley had done damage the day before we brought them home home....
    One big gold star survived...last buffy died today....
    so last gold star is crying at 6 pm...
    so I put her in a big box and put her in the coop with the two older buffies... for company.
    so I went into see a bit of TV, and heard incredible screaming outside .....

baby gold star had jumped outside her box inside the coop box, ran down the ramp. Through the fence, and back to her red baby box... a good twenty feet and stood screaming for help.....looking for her dead baby buddies....
    broke my heart.......
    poor baby........

poor baby......

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's so sad. I hope you can sooth her and that one of your girls adopts her. Have you tried a stuffed animal as a "bed buddy"?

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That's so sad. I hope you can sooth her and that one of your girls adopts her. Have you tried a stuffed animal as a "bed buddy"? (sorry. late here.)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    how pitiful.... baby bird would be sleeping in my room tonight. Poor little lonely thing.[​IMG]

5. jkm

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    Well went back to the feed store, and now have three yellow sex links? and three golden Wys.
    Comet took right to the yellow chicks, 2 weeks old and is a bit nasty to the GW.
    I have them in a pen inside the run, with the buffies outside.
    tonight all the babies sleep in the red box, inside the coop,
    man at the feed store said sleeping toghter at night helps bond the chicks to the flock.

its the last set of chciks at the store so I over bought,,,, so i will keep the quiet ones and sell the others back to the feed store
    comet looks happy with her new golden friends.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do they have a heat lamp in that red box inside the coop?

7. jkm

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    HI Miss Prissy,
    I have a red lamp in their day pen, on when they get up and the temp is 50. I turn it off when it warms up to 70.
    The coop is small and is warm, and has two big fat buffies on their roost. the new girls huddle on pine shavings.... it ended color discrimination.
    Its been 5 days and everyone is growing and alive and happy looking.... today we start a heat wave for 4 days....so I did not turn on the heat lamp in the run, they have a red box on its side for wind protection, and shade cover over the pen.
    whew babies are work..... grow, grow....

interesting the Gold lace Whys are quieter than the sex linked...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by