wild chicken a pest!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenemother, Jan 3, 2011.

1. greenemother

greenemother Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    the Bayou
    I've got 8 free ranging chickens who are now 12 weeks old. They are doing great! Problem is I have this annoying wild chicken who keeps leaping the fences and comes and grazes and then leaves again. My girls are quite confused with all of this. The wild one tries to mingle but they want nothing to do with her, actually they seem to be kind of scared of this "wild woman." Anyway, is there anything I need to be worried about? Will they want to follow her ways? Or will I eventually have 9 chickens? [​IMG]
    Peace,
    Greenemother

2. Bill D

Bill D Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Fayetteville NC
    The only thing I can think of is you don't know what the health of this chicken is - does it have worms or any type of disease.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    i predict you will eventually have 9 chickens [​IMG]
    A few months ago I introduced a baby duckling to my flock of hens and they all were afraid of her. now they all follow the duck around, so im guessing yours will put the wild hen into the pecking order and allow her into their flock too [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    See, my heart goes out to this wild bird. You NEED 9 chickens! And she needs you too.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:X2.

6. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    I would try to catch the wild woman, quarantine her and then integrate her if she has no disease. Otherwise you could be exposing your girls to disease, or there is the possibility that the wild woman could teach them her wild ways, or the poor wild woman will eventually be eaten by a predator.

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have numerous wild birds who are honorary flock members as long as it suits them. You have her around for a while and you will be treating your birds for mites on a fairly regular basis, but I have never had any diseases come from the wild brethren (just bugs, several times). I highly doubt you will be able to catch and contain her, so I wouldn't bother trying. You miss catching her on the first try there will never be another opportunity because she will never let you near her again, and she may just bolt and never come back.

Good luck.

8. greenemother

greenemother Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    the Bayou
    Wow, thank you. What a response!!! Thank you for all your great ideas and your compassion!!
    So, it seems like I should keep her and let her become one. My chickens are still on the chick starter and she's been eating that like crazy. Will that help with diseases if she has any? I'm going to do the DIATOMACEOUS EARTH all around the house and under it this week just in case. Is there anything else I should do? I have orphingtons, austrlorps, plymouths, and americana's. She seems like a white long legged chicken! She's so frantic too, poor thing. I think she's living in the empty lot behind us. She's really skinny. Should I get anything else food wise for her? I think I am a homeless animal magnetic!!! Thanks everyone for all your help!!!

9. staplehead

staplehead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    georgia
    watch where she roost late in the evening....then well after dark ...catch her... quarantine her...observe...then make the decision on whether to add her to your flock...

10. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Wow, I can not imagine what it's like to have a wild chicken show up! I'm sure all of the health concerns are valid and I'd probably be a wreck in real life if I felt my chickens were exposed, but in my head it sounds like christmas morning- walking out to find a BONUS chicken! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by