Wild chicken hunt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CalebtheChicken, Jun 19, 2010.

1. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    My game hen has suddenly decided that roosting in a tree is better than roosting in my coop, every time I go to try and run her home she runs up into the woods.
    My rooster seems to miss her some cause when she's in the woods behind my house the rooster will cluck in the way roosters do to get their hens to come to them, but she just seems to ignore him.
    My mamma said to set out a coon trap with corn in it to catch her.
    Would this work? If not, what could I do?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I say try the corn .. Lots of folks have accidentaly caught thier chickens in traps, so logically it should work....

3. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Does she return to the coop at all (to eat or drink)? If she does, once she's in I'd lock her in for a few days to remind her where home is. Good luck.

4. CalebtheChicken

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:No, she completely lives in the woods now [​IMG]

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    She's found something out there in the woods that she likes! Last fall when I started letting my birds free-range a bit... they discovered my "Very Nice" neighbor's flower bed! We couldn't run them away from it! They found bugs and worms in the bedding and would make for it as soon as the gate was opened every morning! But... at least mine were coming home in time to roost... If she stays out there too long, she will become a wild chicken and catching here will become more difficult I'm afraid... [​IMG] I would try the trap! That will be your best bet catching her. Unless U know some athletic young'uns that are good with a fishing dip net!!! That's how I do it!

6. CalebtheChicken

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    She must like the small clearing just above my mamma's house! she always stays there. During the day anyway, I went at night to try and catch her and she was gone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by