Wild Chicken of some variety?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by daniduck, Mar 26, 2012.

1. daniduck

daniduck silent stalker

Nov 1, 2009
    Florida
    My Coop
    So, we had some friends that live deep in a very strict community/neighborhood/whatever. They cannot keep chickens there. They told us last week that a little hen had made a home in their backyard, and that she was wandering some of the neighbor's yards as well. No one would claim her, and they were planning to get animal services to come catch her. We spent 5 hours over at their house and managed to catch her in 45 mins. Of all the birds I've had I've never seen one so wary of people, makes me wonder if she was originally from one of the communities not far from the subdivision where they raise cock fighting birds. Additionally, I have never in my life seen a chicken run with the speed this one moves. I'm thinking she's been snacking on drugs (just joking). Anyway, I knew she was on the small side when we caught her. She's almost half the size of our RIR hens. She's a scrappy little thing though, and holding her own with all the others after we added her to the flock today. We are wondering what Breed/color you think she is. She's not laying any eggs, so I don't know if she's not old enough, if she's just a tramatized bantam breed and she'll settle down to laying again before long, or if we actually have one lady like looking rooster that never crows. What say you...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    some sort of wheaten game

3. daniduck

daniduck silent stalker

Nov 1, 2009
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks I was guess Wheaten. If she's a game hen, is this as big as I can expect her to get?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think she's full grown. I'm guessing young adult. Game hens can grow some wicked spurs as they age, although not always. She just looks younger to me. They're known for being great mothers, and wonderful foragers. Nice find!

5. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Cubalaya

6. daniduck

daniduck silent stalker

Nov 1, 2009
    Florida
    My Coop
    Really you think a Cubalaya? I thought they weren't suppose to be able to hold their tails alert (up)? I thought they generally had longer tail feathers too.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    To me she looks maybe game cross/mix. She's rather heavy and short tailed looking for the typical game. Like maybe game x RIR cross/mix?

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I think she is at least half Cubalaya. :) Maybe 100% hatchery. ;)

9. chickens44

chickens44 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Cubalaya corossp

10. chickens44

chickens44 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Crros

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by