Wild Chickens, Kauai, Hawaii

BigIslandChicks

Songster
9 Years
Nov 10, 2010
Aloha BYC. just wanted to share some pix of some of the wild kauai chickens with everyone
big_smile.png

71606_dscn3644.jpg

71606_p1110050.jpg

71606_p1110057.jpg

71606_p1110052.jpg

the last 3 photos are at walmart parking lot! lol

Last edited:
Check out the cockerel with the white ear lobes in the second photo!
lol.png
So, do people feed the feral chickens like we do feral pigeons? Do they prove to be an invasivie species? Or do the natural predators keep the numbers in check?

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing!

I don't feed pigeons though. It's actually illegal to do that in the city here if they find out
hide.gif

Seagulls are invasive here. God forbid you have your window cracked in the McDonalds parking lot. They will try to get in!

Wow! those are some pretty birds. I remember the wild chickens from when I went to Kauai for our Honeymoon. Tour guide said
something about hurricanes carrying them to Kauai from another island and they just carried on their population there. Not sure if that is
true but I guess it could be possible.

Pretty birds!!

Last edited:
hey everyone - been a while but i wanted to answer some of your ???

there are many wild chickens here because in '91 i believe, there was a bad hurricane and many of the locals birds got loose. they are a bit of an invasive species on Kauai because the only predators are cats and dogs, maybe the hawks but on the other islands there are mongoose - they pick off the eggs and small chicks and keep the population down. back in the day when someone had the great idea to bring the mongoose to the islands to combat the rat problem, - which makes no sense because the rats are nocturnal and the mongoose come out during the day and mainly get into your trash. when the crate of mongoose arrived in Kauai - the dock hands where checking the crates in and he got bit by a mongoose and kicked the crate into the water - or at least thats the story. makes me happy because we have no mongoose pests and we have lots of chickens!!

people do feed the chickens as you can see in the photos from walmart. they are actually protected by the state and you cant trap/catch or kill them unless they are on YOUR property or you have permission from the property owner.

i really like the wild chickens around - just keeping them out of my yard and away from my birds and OUT of MY GARDEN! has been a challenge - they are beautiful but like all wild birds carry pests and disease. we have had to catch and release one pesky rooster just in the last month. and ive had a wild hen with what started as 12 chicks hanging around but the chicks all seemed to have some weird eye thing and a bunch of them went blind and died or where killed bc now there are only 4 - who knows what they have - http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031 but it is probably contagious and i dont want my birdies to get whatever it is.

mahalo for the interest and ALOHAs

Back
Top Bottom