Wild coloured Muskovy?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nes, Jul 11, 2011.

1. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Anyone have pictures?

My chicks are... I want to say around 6 weeks now? They are starting to molt into their adult feathers, and surprisingly they all seem to be wild-coloured! (I thought they were going to be white)
    Both my yellow/brown and my all brown have some lovely blue/green iridescent feathers!

I'd like to see some pictures to compare [​IMG]

TX!

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

This is from Spectrum Ranch. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a pair I used to own:

[​IMG]

3. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Heres mine. She's still pretty young. I cant tell if shes just close looking ,or if she is a true wild colored bird.
    [​IMG]

Just type in black muscovy duck. Thats the wild color.

Also RFF ,those aint wild colored,but their close [​IMG]

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yeah...that's what I was told when I purchased hatching eggs--and paid $60.00 for 6 of them. [​IMG] Hatched them out--saved a pair and then got rid of them because they weren't what I wanted or paid for. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    One of my drakes, he's close to 8 years old and still going strong.
    [​IMG] sorry it's small don't know why.

one of my girls
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. Blob Chicken

Blob Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Quote:Yeah...that's what I was told when I purchased hatching eggs--and paid $60.00 for 6 of them. [​IMG] Hatched them out--saved a pair and then got rid of them because they weren't what I wanted or paid for. [​IMG]

Oi !! That sucks.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I love the wild colored muscovies. I've heard that the less white on them the better. But, I've also wondered if you can show them with black or mostly black faces? I thought I heard somewhere that the show standard is all red and very crinkly faces. The wild ones don't have as elaborate faces as the domestic ones.

Tommy was close to a wild-type muscovy. I want a duck like him when I get my own ducks.

8. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Wild muscovies are black with white coverts, smaller, and few caruncles. Ducklings look a lot like mallards. None ofv those with white are wild muscovies.

Clint

9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Here's a photo of Tommy during the last few months of his life. He was feral, but obviously not a pure wild-type color because of the red on the face and white feathers. Still, everyone loved him. He actually got whiter over the years, especially on his last molt.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. nes

nes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Outside Ottawa
    Miss Lydia - do you have any younger photos?

It does look like my guys may develop some lighter feathers, so maybe they will be pied [​IMG].

It is really hard to tell because they are so little & so are their tiny feathers. Definitely going through an ugly period!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by