Wild duck with fishing hook stuck in his throat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PortugalBreeder, Jun 10, 2011.

1. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    While walking near the river found this female duck behaving strange and far from his flock, decided to approach while filming and found out that it has a fishing hook stuck in the throat.
    Please, give me ideas on how to help it without being arrested (for catching a wild duck).

Here is the video, it's hard to see the wire, but sometimes you can see the blink of it reflecting the sun, it's really long probably about a meter long and it's kinda coiled:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNVOvqPkkY

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    You could probably call animal control if the the duck is really in trouble...they should be able to help it(animal control...ASPCA...something like that...)

3. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:That's the problem, as I'm in europe (here don't exist wild dangerous animals near people) there isn't animal control. I could try to convince a vet to help the duck, but I don't think it would be an easy task.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Do you have any type of animal welfare organization in your area, either public or private? That duck is in desperate need of help. I couldn't see the hook very well in the video and it doesn't look like it's in immediate distress, but it's possible that it'll starve if not assisted.

I rescued a duckling yesterday caught on a fishing hook, but he was easy to catch and it only took me a few seconds to remove the hook. I didn't get into trouble or anything, but no one was really watching and everyone knows I help take care of the animals around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by