1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wild Ducklings Advice? UPDATE

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmAbTo48, Jul 17, 2011.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    We live about 2 miles from 2 pretty good sized ponds that have our road going through the middle of them. We get geese, wood ducks and mallards out there all the time! They all love to sit right in the middle of the road in the mornings and most of the day if there not in the water or eating. Anyways For the last 3 mornings going to work( around 630am) i have had to stop my vehicle (usually the parents or older ducks/geese will move and chase there babies off the road) for 6 small ducklings there hasn't been a sign of any parents for them. They seem to be following the other ducks/geese around. But never getting close to any of them.

I am not sure if they are geese, wood ducks or mallards or if maybe they are old enough to be on there own?
    They still have the fluffy fur coat they are yellow and black. They all look healthy but again I have not seen a mother any where!

They are super cute! But run right into the bushes down the lake if I go near them.

Should I just let nature take its course?

UPDATE: Just in case anyone was curious. I called our local DNR yesterday they came out and caught the 6 ducklings; I guess they weren't as well as I thought they looked [​IMG] They were full of something the DNR was not sure what it was but it almost looked like oil which is weird since the 2 ponds have nothing like that. Anyways, to my surprise they are NOT wild ducks, they are ROUENS and they actually are about a month and half old but are very tiny from malnutrition!!! The DNR has taken them to a local farm that does hatching and breeding. I am just dumb founded by this since we don't have any Rouen’s and the closest farm near us with Rouen’s is about 8 miles away in the opposite direction!!!!..... I keep wondering if maybe they got dumped there. Poor things! I am glad I just decided to call they wouldn't have made it at all.

So all in all I think they will live and end up being someones pet, I am going to keep track of them and maybe end up getting one or 2!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    there's some one watching over them. You may not see her, but she's there duck mothers will stay hidden a lot especially in areas like you are talking about.
    She's most likely in the bushes there. Also Canada geese, sort of "group" raise their babies a lot. When you have multiple broods all together, they will mingle with each other. So it very well could be one of theirs and the babies are just not right under her feet.
    As long as they are fat and healthy looking, I wouldnt be concerned too much with them. For now, yes, let nature do it's thing.

By the way, it is illegal to capture them too. If you do you MUST take them to a wildlife rehab center for care. YOU CANT LEGALLY DO IT YOURSELF.
    Many on here want to do that, but that's considered illegal harvest of live wild animals and is a Federal offense in migratory waterfowl cases.

You can Google wildlife rehab centers. There is a data base they have that you can put your zip code into and all the centers in your area will pop up for you to contact. Sorry I dont have the link on hand, but can get it if you end up needing it.
    For now, they'll tell you the same thing though. Leave them alone and watch to be sure IF they indeed are in any danger first.

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Oh what is the likely hood of the police coeming up to your door because you caught some ducklings. I mean really. Ok back to the question. If they look unhealthy yes I would.

4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Quote:Well, it happens. I have over 40 confiscated wood ducks I am caring for from 3 different cases. I was asked about caring for several hundred in a case a few years ago. I also have other migratory birds from other cases. It does happen.

Clint

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:What is the likelihood that USF&W reads forums like this? And that some of the members here are officers of USF&W? VERY high.

BBB gave good advice.

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yes try it. I MEAN REALLY.
    It's not the police, it's the U.S. Game Officials. They can come to your home at any time for any reason and look for whatever they want.
    Nosy neighbor, someone on a forum who saw this with nothing better to do than turn you in. Yes, It happens quite often too. Trust me, I have worked with these birds longer than most people on here have been alive, they love a good ol case of catching wild animals and taking them home.

I PERSONALLY tell folks how to STAY out of trouble. Not encourage them to break the law and face heavy fines and in some cases jail time. There are legal and responsible ways to help animals in need. Taking them into your home is NOT one of them. The goal of a rehab center is to properly raise them in a manor in which they will be suited for reintroduction to the wild where they belong.
    YOU CAN NOT do that at home. Most will try to make a pet out of them which they are not. These waterfowl also a very different to care for than your normal backyard duck. Pretty much if you go at it with that attitude , that a duck is a duck...well you're going to kill it.
    So when you see a Post referring a person to a rehab center and doing it the legal way for the benefit of the animals, dont get all defensive about it, except it as the RIGHT thing to do, because it is. If you personally want to face the fines involved, that's your business, but dont encourage others to break the law regarding wildlife. They are there for the animals protection. Not there to suit our needs.
    If you want some of these personally, they are for sell all over the country, they are properly kept and bred and PERMITED captive waterfowl.

Dont mean to get all uppity, about this, but there are thread after thread on here about similar instances, and every time someone mentions rehab center and doing it the legal way by not trying to
    "HOME RAISE " them...it never fails...the rash of bombarding post , like the above come up....This is the law folks, weather we like it or not, it is....DO NOT encourage folks to break them in public forums....
    Would you encourage someone to do other illegal activities?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Quote:I dare you all to drive 2mph over the speed limit this week [​IMG] [​IMG]

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on them since you see them often and call wildlife rehab and see what they suggest and watch for and give them a heads up in case it turns out you need to bring them in.
    They are with a bunch of other ducklings and goslings. Mine seemed to instinctively know what they need to do to stay alive (I didn't teach them to oil themselves or catch bugs) and with other adults and ducklings around, they will probably be fine even if their mom isn't around anymore.

8. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well I had a noisy neighbor that thought all waterfowl were wild. I was showing the cop around (NN had called him) when my gander snuck up on him and took a lettle nip of his butt.

Hey Boggy Bottoms just what departmen of the Federal government does a "U S Game official" work for?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Well I had a noisy neighbor that thought all waterfowl were wild. I was showing the cop around (NN had called him) when my gander snuck up on him and took a lettle nip of his butt.

Hey Boggy Bottoms just what departmen of the Federal government does a "U S Game official" work for?

the USDI

state ones can also get you, they work for the state DNR's

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:I dare you all to drive 2mph over the speed limit this week [​IMG] [​IMG]

If it were me, I'd keep an eye on them since you see them often and call wildlife rehab and see what they suggest and watch for and give them a heads up in case it turns out you need to bring them in.
    They are with a bunch of other ducklings and goslings. Mine seemed to instinctively know what they need to do to stay alive (I didn't teach them to oil themselves or catch bugs) and with other adults and ducklings around, they will probably be fine even if their mom isn't around anymore.

haha
    got to be over 5 miles per hour here...I'm good at two over

but yep, go run 80 in a 55 and see what happens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by