Wild flower seed safe?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nanceann, Mar 16, 2015.

1. nanceann

nanceann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Amsterdam, MO
    We are working on permaculture beds, planning on buckwheat for starter to get the bed going, my dh wants to mix in some wild flower seed. Any issues with the chicks and wild flowers?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    None that I'm aware of. More of a danger to the wildflowers until they get established. The chickens will scratch out all unestablished plants.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    There are plants that are toxic if eaten, and your wildflower mix should have seed varieties listed, so you can see any issues. The chickens will happily demolish any young plants unless you have lots of space for them. Mine free range and haven't had problems with plant species of many sorts, including some toxic ones, but they have several acres to explore and avoid the problem plants. mary

1 person likes this.
  4. Robber

Robber Just Hatched

Just about to sow a wild flower meadow patch in our garden, but our chickens free roam and I'm worried they will eat the seeds or destroy the young plants.

Any suggestions, apart from locking up the chickens for a few weeks?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. balloonflower

balloonflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2016
    Fence the new patch off. Possibly even bird netting over the top--they will happily scratch up all the new plants or seeds.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree. Some type of barrier between the chickens and the garden spot they can’t get by or over.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Every spring, I have small beds where I encourage flowers to grow. My chickens free-range and will scratch up any new shoots, making it impossible for plants to grow. So I just throw down some scraps of poultry mesh over the soil in those spots. By the time the plants are established, several inches tall with solid roots, I remove the fencing scraps.

No need to put up a fence. Chickens find it unpleasant to try to scratch in dirt that's got chicken wire lying on it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by