Wild Gardening

5F2DB59A-88B6-47FF-B83E-8222E518F5B6.jpeg
My father passed away. My brother and I went to a car dealership to turn in his handicap equipped van to get my mother a car to drive. There was a beautiful palm tree (dunno what kind). I plucked seed pods and put them in my pocket. My brother said that I could probably grow it in side but it wouldn’t make it outside. First year grew it inside. Next year put it in the yard. Been 3 years now. It gets bigger every year. Don’t know how it survives...but it does. It’s the darkest green to the left of the tree. I plant something in honor of all I have lost. My brother’s wife passed (unexpected & way too young). She has Shasta Daisies her favorite flower.

I have a walnut tree that I grew from a sprout that I found emerging from a shell the week we moved into our house. It was in an inconvenient spot so I moved it. It's 15 years old now and provides the shade under which my chickens live. It also provides green walnuts from which I make nocino early each Summer.

I've never learned how to properly harvest ripe walnuts, remove their husks and otherwise prepared them for baking. ::sigh::

I also have a Mission fig tree that grew from seeds spread by birds from my neighbor's tree. A number of years ago I huge branch fell over and I was able to root a section and start a second one. The fruit from the first can be good or can be disappointing. The fruit from the second one is always nasty and it will be coming down in favor of something espaliered that admits more sun to my veggies.

The birds are VERY proficient in sowing the seeds. I pull seedlings out by the armful now.

I'll see if I can take some pix tho they are all at their rattiest right now.

Have you grown a apple tree from the seed of one you ate? A peach tree from a pit? Maybe even new grafted plants? Please share and we can see all of the crazy gardening things you all do!

where I live (greece) almonds, peaches, apricots, olives, etc. fall down and the trees grow from those seeds. the fruits might not be as sweet as from the mother tree but they are tasty.

I tried to grow avocado from seed with no success. would avocado tree be dangerous in the chicken/duck/geese run?

The skin and pit are toxic to chickens. If it was in the run, they may try to eat them just because they are there. I wouldn't do it.

I soaked the avacado pit in a glass of water for a full 24 hours, then planted it in a well watered pot, and put a plastic bag over it to seal in the moisture. The second time, I tried the method of putting toothpicks in the pit and letting it sit with the bottom part in water until it sprouted. I will say that it takes a LONG time to sprout!

The skin and pit are toxic to chickens. If it was in the run, they may try to eat them just because they are there. I wouldn't do it.

I soaked the avocado pit in a glass of water for a full 24 hours, then planted it in a well watered pot, and put a plastic bag over it to seal in the moisture. The second time, I tried the method of putting toothpicks in the pit and letting it sit with the bottom part in water until it sprouted. I will say that it takes a LONG time to sprout!
I soaked the pit from a Medjool date in a glass of water for months and it finally sprouted. Unfortunately they will not survive here so it stayed as a potted plant. I sold it when it got to about 3' tall because I just did not have the room for it.

I have several potted cherry, peach, and lemon trees. several of the peaches were grown from pit, they are just 3-4 years old and already much taller then me.

I'm going to try growing a serviceberry tree from seed to replace my favorite one which got destroyed in a storm a month or so ago / either that or find a wild one to replant.

I have been on the search for pawpaws to plant.

i do build hugelkulture beds to plant blueberry and strawberries in deep in the woods

Back
Top Bottom