Wild goose chase for meds... suggestions...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mmaddie's mom, Jul 6, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been following several posts about worming my chickens... decided that this was a good idea... decided on Ivermectin-pour on and diatomaceous earth (DE).

Found Iver-pour on... great... except the containers were HUGE (I know... for cows) and expensive... decided on the smallest size I could get for $14.99... THEY WERE OUT! OK so now it is on order for me.

Also looked for Valbazen... never heard of it?

Now for the DE... couldn't find it at the farm store or the health food store or anywhere in between... someone suggested a pool supply store, but would that be the kind used for human consumption? Do I need to order it on line? Where?

I have reasonally healthy free-range chickens that I dust on occassion for external parasites (mites/lice). Just finished using WD40 on their legs/feet for leg scale mites. They eat layer mash, corn and sunflower seeds all the time with boiled eggs, frest fruit and veggies thrown in when I have it for them.

Any other suggestions for a regular use of some sort of parasite (external and internal) control program? Thought the Iver sounded good.

This has all come about because of one of my favorite hens who went broody very early last spring and lost her first batch to the cold snaps... she started over again with a new batch right away and hatched out 7 beautiful chicks and is a great mother... chicks are pretty much on their own now but mommy hen is looking bad... very hard on her... lost all feathers on her head and neck and under her wings and tummy... her skin is very scaley and pale with several scabby patches... also very skinny... also acting kinda weak... she is still eating and pooping regular... but I need to bring her back... hence, the worming.

I'm open to suggestions and any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
    dmb/mm

2. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    I was told the pool store for DE also. I think I saw it in small bags at Menards in the gardening section. As for the Iver, I can't for the life of me remember the on line store to get it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Make sure you give her electrolytes in her water and/or apple cider vinegar.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Only get the food grade DE not the stuff for pools that stuff is bad. I would look into Wazine its a pour into the water. Then look for safeguard paste its for horses use the wazine first then 10 days to 2 weeks later follow up with the safeguard paste a pea size on a piece of bread for each chicken. do not eat the eggs for 2 weeks after wazine and 2 weeks after safeguard if you dust your chickens then they should be okay. DE is a great preventive but will not kill an infestation of worms. This was the advice that I got from a byc member and it seems to have done the trick for me. I did buy the DE food grade on line no one here carries it.

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you both for the advice.

I have her on electrolytes now.

Saw wazine... will consider.

DE on line is probably the way to go as a preventative.

thanks, again.
    dmb/mm

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    You can usually find food-grade DE online for a reasonable price. It's not surprising you can't find any locally, it was only about 8 months ago that the farm store I usually shop at starting carrying it. They charge $11 for a 50 lb bag, and it lasts for a long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by