wild goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by DuckPan, Feb 20, 2015.

1. DuckPan

DuckPan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Oklahoma Yee Hah
    Their is a wild goose at out pond that its wing is chopped off, not the feathers, it's the wing. The rest of the geese have all ready migrated and she is left behind. What do I do? I have a pen I could put her in and raise her, but she won't get anywhere near me at the pond.

2. Franki

Franki Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Since she can't fly is there any way you could put something like the plastic snow fencing around her and close it in until you get ahold of her?

3. DuckPan

Jun 15, 2014
    Oklahoma Yee Hah
    I just don't know how to get her in it tho.

4. Franki

Apr 25, 2012
    Ok here's my best shot at this. I have had to corral geese in the past. Had a Canadian that had to be caught because she had fishing line wrapped around both legs, like shackles but she could still fly.
    I have taken nylon rope, the yellow stuff from Wally World. 150 ft like 6.00 dollars or so.
    Stake it at one place and possibly drag it across the pond? It should cause her to jump out of the pond. You can even bounce it up and down on the water. If you can get her to jump out then have something long enough, I have a golf ball retriever thing that is really long when extended. You might be able to steer her away from the pond and into an area that is more confined until you can grab her. Will probably need help.
    Good luck,
    Wish I lived around you, I'd give you a hand.
    Linda

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good ideas, get some friends to help use plastic poultry fencing from Lowes when I rescued 2 dumped drakes from our river I made friends with them first taking cracked corn down daily they were so hungry they where happy to get it, then I set up a dog X pen right at the rivers edge with the gate open facing the water, Put cracked corn on a tray at the back of the open pen so they would have to walk all the way in and to the back gave me time to close the gate. and there they were. Might be harder since it is more open but if you can try getting her use to you first that may help. Then ask for help to catch her. Someone may have to go in the water. Also see if there are any water fowl rescues close by they may help.

1 person likes this.
  6. DuckPan

Jun 15, 2014
    Oklahoma Yee Hah
    Well I just caught her, i put her in the pen with my other geese a 40 pound male, a male and 2 females. the female(Mate) of the 40 pound male is broody, and the wild goose wont get away from her, so the big male keeps attacking it and making the wound worse, should i put the wild one in a 2x2 god house or What? tomorrow im going to TSC to get the purple spraw disanfectant( how ever you spell it lol) But should i just wait until the establish pecking order or what?

7. DuckPan

Jun 15, 2014
    Oklahoma Yee Hah
    Spell correct..... god = dog ..... spraw = spray

8. Franki

Apr 25, 2012
    The male is going to be very protective of his broody partner.
    Add to that the fact that the new goose is an interloper so to speak.
    They don't know or accept her it seems and yes they will hurt her.
    What happened to her mate that was with her? Is there any way to put them together in the little house?
    She is probably sticking close to the broody one because I would assume she is laying down and your wild caught girl is looking for some comfort.
    She is hurt, has just gone through the trauma of being caught. She needs a quiet place to rest.
    I commend you for your persistence with this girl, good job finally getting her.
    How is the injury?

Linda

1 person likes this.
  9. Franki

Apr 25, 2012
    Just a thought here.
    If she has an open wound you might want to look for an antiseptic powder like BFI, or there
    Is another one that I believe someone on here mentioned I think for horses but it healed a keel wound pretty quick.
    Many times drying it out will cause it to close down and heal quicker. It might have been called Miracle Powder.
    Hopefully someone will remember and chime in.
    Again good job.
    Linda

1 person likes this.
  10. DuckPan

Jun 15, 2014
    Oklahoma Yee Hah
    The Mate got Killed when about 3 coyotes rushed the geese and one got a got and another one got her but i started running towards them and the coyotes Ran off. Im kind of glad i went down to the pond at 6 in the morning. lol where can i get the BFI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by