Wild Hen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bauk_Bauk, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Bauk_Bauk

Bauk_Bauk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    I was raised on a small farm. We used to have laying hens.

I have been trying to talk my husband to let me have some chickens for eggs. He has resisted. We have a large yard and few neighbors, so that's not a problem. Although we do have Racoons in forest behind us.
    Well few weeks ago a Hen showed up in our yard. Hubby has been ok with her, except she gets into flower beds and makes a mess. I have been feeding her. I don't know if she is laying or not. I know not in my yard. She roosts in the neighbors tree at night. How can I get her to nest here for the eggs?

I bought a new chick, one week out of light, 2 weeks now.
    however old that is? Blue wyandotte. What a sweetie she is, loves to be held. Never knew they could be pets.

The older hen and chick have met, and free range together, kinda, slowly introduceing them.
    My Hubby is building a coop, can I add the wild hen to the coop? any suggestions?[​IMG]

2. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Check to see if your neighboors have a chicken that might have escaped. then if not, check all over her to see if she has any bumps or bruises or open sores. Then see if she will come to you when you go uotside next time. As long as she is tame, and not wild, you might be able to put her in your coop. Good luck and let us know how it goes! Chickenman8

3. Bauk_Bauk

Bauk_Bauk Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Wild Hen is healthy looking. But not tame.
    She is getting a little closer to me when I bring out food.
    But catching her won't be real easy.
    :eek:

4. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Do you have any snow fence you could use to gather her into a circle so it is easier to catch her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by