Wild Mallard Ducklings - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nimby Chickens, May 17, 2011.

1. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    So I get a call while I am at work from my lovely fiancee. He and some co-workers found 2 mallard ducklings in someone's engine block at the parking lot at his work! I'm sort of a wildlife rehabber (I do squirrels, possums, crows under the guidance of an actual licensed rehabber) but have no experience with ducks. My dear sweet fiancee does not want any more animals, but when he overhears his co-workers say they are going to just release them in a pond nearby, he knows that's a death sentence and reluctantly calls me and says "Honey, we have ducks now. Come get them." I love this man.

So they have been on non-medicated Super Breeder feed with 20% protien. They are under a heat lamp, they have access to a tiny pan of water if they get hot or want a dip or drink. They are separate from my chicks and chickens.

They are scared of me, but are getting less and less so everyday. They have no real feathers yet that I can see, just fuzz. My guess would be under a week old when I got them, which was the 12th or so.

I do not plan on keeping them. I really do not have the facilities for ducks and they will be released once they get old enough. Would free ranging them with a little pond made for them in the backyard be a sufficient release strategy?

I really like these little guys. They have lots of personality! They are about a million times smarter than the chickens too... just adorable. XD

Thanks in advance!

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

It can be aginst the law in some states to do what you propose. Also they are human habituated now making release to the wild unlikly or unsafe. Check with the other rehabers check with your state and local laws.

3. Nimby Chickens

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Quote:No, I'm working under the supervision of a licensed wildlife rehabilitator (Mary Jane Eisner of the Haven Wildlife Sanctuary of Altamonte Springs FL) and am very well versed in the wildlife laws of Florida. I do appreciate your concern. [​IMG]

Mary Jane says she has good results releasing ducks, only if they are soft-released though. They can't just be dumped in a lake somewhere. If it came down to it, they'll have a home with me. [​IMG] Same as my other charges if I get a non-releasable, like Thrall my neuro squirrel. I am trying to have minimal contact with them and I'm lucky there are two so they won't imprint on me. Every critter is different though so we will see how it all plays out.

4. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    We raise mallards every year and put them on our pond. I might woudl try to find someone near you that does the same of has a pond they can be put on. If I was clsoe we would take them.

5. Nimby Chickens

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Quote:I will ask around, maybe put an ad up at the feed store or something. Since I will have raised them but they were wild born I would love a compromise of free in someone's lake with a bonus of being fed and protected. I will try to work it out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by