Wild Mallard Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ~Wind~, Jul 12, 2011.

1. ~Wind~

~Wind~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    So on the weekend I got a call from our local gas station that there were 7 baby ducks running around without a mother. They know that we have ducks and chicken so called wanting us to come and get them. I told them to wait until suppertime to see if a mother showed up. Well suppertime came and no mother has shown up, they little ducklings were running around by the road frantic. So we go and get them. There were 7, I'm asuming mallard ducklings from the look of them. I have never had Mallards so I could be wrong. The are so tiny. Five of them didnt make the night, but two are still going strong. I have been feeding them duck crumbles and they arnt to sure about eating them. I have not seen them eat or drink as they are very skittish, but there is a good amount of droppings in the pen so they must be eating and drinking when we are not watching.
    I'm just wondering if there is anything special that we should be doing for them since they were born in the wild. You can see in the picture the size of them, they are sitting on a 2X4. Also if someone could confirm if they are Mallards or not that would be great. Anyways heres a picture!

[​IMG]

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Your mallard duclings are wood ducks. make sure they are drinkng and feeding as wood ducklings can be very tough to raise. Also you need to check the legals to having them. A rehab or licensed perso need to be called [​IMG]

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Look like mallards, but their bills make them look like a call mix.

Since they are babies, keep them warm. Indoors under a heat lamp if possible. About 85 degrees. You will have to teach them to drink from the waterer by dipping their bills into the water so they get the idea.

As far as the crumbles, they will start to eat when they get hungry. They were wild, so they are scared. Try some smashed up peas (use the frozen kind, defrost them and smash them up).

4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    They are wood ducks. Call a rehabber.

Clint

5. ~Wind~

Jun 9, 2011
    Wood ducks... cool. I will have to do some researching. Unfortunatly I am the only rehabber that they are going to have access to. Our closest bird sanctuary is not taking in any ducks at the moment, they dont have the space or time. I have no experience with wood ducks what so ever so if anyone has any important tips or advice I would be greatfull [​IMG]

6. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    Are you a licenesed rehabber? Otherwise it's a legal violation. My guess is thay will not make it.

Clint

7. ~Wind~

Jun 9, 2011
    Any guesses on age?

8. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    They're 1A's, less than 7 days.

Clint

9. ~Wind~

Jun 9, 2011
    Quote:The county is aware that I have them, I have been in touch with them several times. They are looking into finding a rehabber that has experience with wood duck. Until then I am all they get. If you know about would ducks then please share some information [​IMG] I am trying to help them and do a good thing.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  10. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    First of all, the county is meaningless, it's federal violation.

Second, I'm not being negative, I've being realistic. You didn't even know they were wood ducks, but thought they were mallards. Wood ducks are 10X harder to keep alive than mallards. Unfortunately, my local WCO's bring me young wood ducks all the time, I'm maybe 50% successful. By the time I get them, they are usually stressed, needing to feed, and will not settle easily. My best success is slipping them in with one of my wood duck broods, or a mallard brood. They do much better under a duck than they do in a brooder. They'll climb out of any box you put them in. Add mealworms to the feed. Hopefully the movement will start them feeding.

Clint

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by