Wild Mallard photos

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Carcajou, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    For three years before I had my Khaki Campbells a pair of wild mallards would spend a few days each spring foraging on my pond. Last year was the first year they did not visit as I had my first Khakis that overwintered at that time. I have always liked wild mallards and am fortunate enough to live in an area where they are regularly seen and thought I would post some photos taken in late March 2011 for your enjoyment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They sure are pretty, we have them stop over being above a mt. river but they don't stay long. I love to see the Mallards. Wood ducks and Canada geese that come through here. Do they raise ducklings on the pond?

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    They have never nested though I always hoped they would. The pond is small and very close to our house so they fly off if we open a door. Our neighbor has a huge pond in his pasture and they usually nest there. I do find their breast feathers in some of my birdhouses as the tree swallows line their nests with them.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Our wild birds like to use our chicken and duck feather to line their nests. Oh to have a pond. Sounds lovely. we do have the river but even though it's less than 75 yrds from our home I don't let my ducks/geese go there. way too many preds between here and there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by