Wild mallards. Female??

jen61871

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
Hi!
these wild mallards were brought to us in the middle of summer as probably newly hatched. I read that by November I should be able to tell the sex because the males will develope a green head and white ring around it's neck. In these three photos it is all for of the ducks. I think their all females if what I read was right. I can't say for sure because they look so much alike but they quack quite a bit and I read makes don't really quack.
can someone please confirm the sex of them? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_20230209_163927164.jpg
    IMG_20230209_163927164.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20230209_163942071.jpg
    IMG_20230209_163942071.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230209_163945234.jpg
    IMG_20230209_163945234.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 12
I agree, I have two Mallard Hens and they resemble mine. My Drake is absolutely quiet and my Hens quack like crazy at times. They are beautiful and should provide you with lots of eggs. My one just finally quit producing the beginning of February here in Ohio. They lay light green eggs and they are delicious!!

I agree, I have two Mallard Hens and they resemble mine. My Drake is absolutely quiet and my Hens quack like crazy at times. They are beautiful and should provide you with lots of eggs. My one just finally quit producing the beginning of February here in Ohio. They lay light green eggs and they are delicious!!
Do you know at what age the girls lay? We didn't get any last summer so should I expect them this year? Thank you for telling me the color of their egg. I didn't know that. I have 2 Muscovy birds as well. We used to have more ducks- even domesticated mallards (their so big compared to the will ones around me in PA), but they didn't want to go in the coops at night. I free range all day my chickens and ducks. So we lost quite a few to the wild when they wouldn't go in the coops.

Do you know at what age the girls lay? We didn't get any last summer so should I expect them this year? Thank you for telling me the color of their egg. I didn't know that. I have 2 Muscovy birds as well. We used to have more ducks- even domesticated mallards (their so big compared to the will ones around me in PA), but they didn't want to go in the coops at night. I free range all day my chickens and ducks. So we lost quite a few to the wild when they wouldn't go in the coops.
I had bought mine in the Summer of one year and the following Spring they were laying eggs. I have a Khaki Campbell that is now a year old and has started laying. It seems them will lay the following spring as long as you didn't get them late fall or winter of the previous year. I had gotten my Khaki in February of 2022 and she is just now laying since she was too young last spring. You are most welcome for the color of the eggs. Both of mine lay the light green ones and my Muscovy lay cream colored ones and the Khaki is laying a more white colored and quite a bit smaller since she is a new layer. Mine do not have coops but have different houses they can go into in their large pen. Some eggs are laid in there and some just laid on the ground anywhere in the pen. It's like an Easter Egg Hunt every day when I go out to care for them, lol. Good luck with yours.

They look like ladies to me
My girls usually start to lay at 4.5 months
I did have 5 younger wait til they were 7 months to start
But with winter going and spring coming you should see eggs
But keep in mind they are mallard so may try to nest by water
I would Check around the yard to see if any are hiding eggs

They look like ladies to me
My girls usually start to lay at 4.5 months
I did have 5 younger wait til they were 7 months to start
But with winter going and spring coming you should see eggs
But keep in mind they are mallard so may try to nest by water
I would Check around the yard to see if any are hiding eggs
My Mallards are great at hiding their eggs so that they can try to hatch out babies. They have managed to do that twice to me and I didn't have the heart to take the eggs once she started sitting on them. They are great little Mommies. My one Hen hatched out 11 her first time and took excellent care of them.

Back
Top Bottom