Wild mallards in the neighbour’s pool.

Kaye Pek

Chirping
May 2, 2021
Vancouver, BC, Canada
A wild Mallard (named Lily by my second son) is nesting in my neighbour’s garden, and she and the hubs, Pad, are using the next neighbour’s pool as their own. All three neighbours are elderly and 2/3 are quite frail, which makes constantly cleaning the pool a real trouble.

We’re currently filling up a 5’ diameter kiddie pool, but when Lily and Pad have had the big pool to swim in, I’m not sure how to make the smaller pool enticing enough for them to switch. Any tips?

A wild Mallard (named Lily by my second son) is nesting in my neighbour’s garden, and she and the hubs, Pad, are using the next neighbour’s pool as their own. All three neighbours are elderly and 2/3 are quite frail, which makes constantly cleaning the pool a real trouble.

We’re currently filling up a 5’ diameter kiddie pool, but when Lily and Pad have had the big pool to swim in, I’m not sure how to make the smaller pool enticing enough for them to switch. Any tips?
Can they put a cover on the pool so they cannot get in?

Done that with several local rescues, and no one would. We’re going to relocate them ourselves once the ducklings hatch, per what the local wildlife rescue advised, but they said they don’t relocate them unless they’re in actual danger.
Your neighbors could be in danger...wild mother animals are very protective of babies and might attack if they feel threated.

Do
If they are disturbed enough by foot traffic, they will relocate to a quieter spot on their own. I doubt you'll be able to lure them away from a full size pool with a kiddie pool.
Don’t tell me that! I hate when people confirm my fears. 🤣

In all seriousness, though, while it’s not what I want to hear, it is at least good to know that we’re probably fighting a losing battle.

Back
Top Bottom