Wild Mallards in the snow

GloryGirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
We have unseasonably wintry weather here today. Sleet and snow. Since our ducklings are not 100% feathered yet, we moved them to a temporary pen in the garage so they wouldn't get too cold. The kids and I have been watching the wild mallards through the living room window throughout the day, very active they've been.

When my husband got home from work and pulled his car in to his side of the garage, a pair of wild mallards walked up to the entrance and stood their, looking between him and our WHs like they wanted to come in and join them, but weren't totally sure about my husband. The poor things were all puffed up and so close they were almost in the garage. We both felt bad for them and my husband said he wouldn't mind letting them in, but I said that since they were wild there was a risk of them carrying diseases that would make ours sick and that it's illegal to keep wild mallards. We sighed and closed the garage door, but I felt so bad for them.

Good idea, Amiga. I don't know why I didn't think of it. Next time we see them, I might throw out some of our duck food or some fresh greens.

We're on the plains in Nebraska. It's all melted, but yeah snow in May is a first in the 13 years I've lived here.

Indeed, I was grateful that I hadn't started my planting yet. Ducks should be able to go back out tomorrow, though.

Back
Top Bottom