Wild mallards! When will they fly and be sexed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FlowerFarmer, Jun 24, 2011.

1. FlowerFarmer

FlowerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    I'M HOPING SOMEONE HAS SOME EXPERIENCE WITH RAISING MALLARDS!

My husband rescued 3 wild mallards, and our friends are raising them.
    They are a few moths old and looking all the SAME. They don't quack, so we're waiting for some coloring, and/or the tail feathers curling.... but nothig yet. They were wild, so mom hasn't taught them to fly off, but it's oly a matter of time. [​IMG]
    Does anyone know about how much time? And when they were able to tell their sex?

THX

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They should be showing their colors within the next month. But, there should already be signs such as a yellowing bill on the males and something like a loud quack on the females (whose bills will remain orange or blue).

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    3-4 months you should be able to tell easy. Look at their head in the sun the males should start having a green sheen where the hens wont [​IMG]
    As far as flying should be about 5-6 mos.

4. ericdc

ericdc Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    my mallards are flying a little right now in short bursts and they are almost 8 weeks old. I can tell drakes from hens by vocalizations and bill color.

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Wild mallards fledge when thay are 42-50 days old. They don't need "mom:" to teach them to fly. If their wing plumage is in, you can sex then by the tertial coverts. White edging on the tertial coverts is how we, as biologists, sex (and age) mallards for banding.

Clint

6. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    If they let them outside and allow them to practice flapping their wings, they could be flying in 3-3.5 month. They start with standing up and flapping their wings, then towards short bursts, and finally to migration...

7. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by