Wild Neighborhood Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by VERN, Jan 31, 2011.

1. VERN

VERN Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    I have a hen that flies in to my back yard and hangs out with my girls for the day. At dusk she is gone. Looks to be an American Game hen as we have a diverse culture around where I live. ( illegal cock fighting) She has been doing this for over a week. I have noticed that she even ventures in to the coop. A couple of days ago she ventured in and I shut the coop door on her, via tied string on door. She didn't go flailing about like I thought she would and just kind of walked around in a daze, as if what just happened here. What I have noticed is that she will not let the others near her and pecks at them if they get too close. At night she will not let others roost on the same perch as her. So I am wondering if I should leave her or should I set her free again? Or will she eventually calm down and not be so pecky to others?

[​IMG]

Exactly what she looks like
    [​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have two like her.Beautiful treasures to have. Keep her!!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would keep her. She will settle down a bit after some time, but she will likely never be as tame as the birds you have raised in captivity. She is asserting her dominance in the pecking order. Once she has achieved her desired position, she will not be as mean to the other girls.

She's lovely. Good luck with her.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep her as long as she is not actively attacking your other chickens. She will settle in. If you want to raise chicks, she will probably be an excellent broody.

5. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    The whole pecking order hting is such a touchy subject to me. I nursed a bird back to health after a raccoon almost killed her and put her back in with the flock after months of being gone and many "in the yard" confrontations. all seemed well for days and then i found her dead....clearly killed by the others. please be careful with this new bird for her sake and the rest of the flock. Keep a close watch. i am sure you know all of this i just had to say it. sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by