Wild Old Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Lover 1, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    I have 7 old chickens maybe 5 years old and they are really wild. They barely ever lay. I really do not want to cull them but I really want to get rid of them. I want to buy more chicks this year. Is there any other option besides culling.[​IMG]

2. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    You could set up a retirement cage or maybe find a local small farm who will take them. good luck

3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I agree with insanity try and find a small farm or build a seperate coop for retirement. If you introudce the chicks slowly. I have my brooder in the conor of coop so the older hens get used to the chicksas theare growing up and by thetime theyare about 10 to 12 weeks theycan go in with the older ones with no problems. Good luck

4. Chicken Lover 1

Chicken Lover 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    santa rosa california
    But I just want them to go. They are pretty useless and I never got attached to them like my other old ones

5. Coralee

Coralee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Woodbine Georgia
    If I lived nearby, I'd take them. I have a 5 old hens that give me an egg or three a week. I told the old man that I'm too old to produce, would he like to cull me? My girls are what's left of my original flock, the rest being lost to predators and peritonitis. There are some rehoming threads on this site, I'd give them a try and see if someone in your area would take them in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by