Wild onions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 4kidslotsapets, Jan 27, 2011.

1. 4kidslotsapets

4kidslotsapets Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Cumming, GA
    Are wild onions ok for hens to eat? Our yard is full of them. I know onions are bad for cats and dogs, but didn't know how chickens feel about them!

Thanks

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  3. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    My chickens absolutely feast on my garden chives, both regular and garlic. Not quite wild onions but . . .

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    We have wild onions growing on the hillside of my bird's run, I always know when they've dug some up because the entire area will just reek of onion. [​IMG]
    I'm pretty sure they eat them and I haven't had any birds drop dead yet, so... [​IMG] Not to mention last year they destroyed my garlic before it ever even had a shot at becoming anything worthwile...

As far as onions being part of the Nightshade family, I don't know how accurate that is. I know tomatoes, peppers and eggplant all are but I've never heard of onions being grouped with those plants. I could be wrong though.

5. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    They are not bad for chickens at all, they are actually beneficial. [​IMG]

ETA: onions are not in the nightshade family [​IMG]

6. oaklandmama

oaklandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Oakland, CA
    I know this post is a little old, but did you ever let your chickens clear the wild onions? Our yard is absolutely infested with them and I was thinking about letting our chickens eat them down when they all come up again. I've heard that they make the eggs taste funny, but wonder if that is a matter of quantity...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by