wild Pekin Ducks

jbfreedom2

Hatching
May 26, 2016
We moved to south Missouri about a year ago. after some flooding, our neighborhood suddenly had 5 full grown Pekin Ducks. I have done alot of research on them, but am now dumbfounded as to what to do. One of the 5 died mysteeriously a few months ago so that left us with 4. This morning, because they do occasionally cross or even stand in the road of our dead end street, someone blew bye and hit them hard, killing 3 of the 4. The one left is a middle guy, not the leader and not the runty one.

Our dilemma: He is now totally alone. We cannot get him a buddy. He is not imprinted to humans. He is of course calling for them occasionally and wandering the area but staying close to our few houses and maybe because he knows I put food out. When I put food out tonight he was very hissy. Understandable as he is likely scared, etc. Is that anything we can do for him?

Just about 1/4 of a mile away downriver that is a marina that has lots of ducks. Not Pekin. Will he eventually move on or will he stay around the neighborhood?

We are not chicken or duck owners. Our yard is fenced as we have a dog. We are not farmers either. Just a house on the river in town.

We would welcome any thoughts, suggestions. Our plan is to leave him alone and enjoy him while we can and feed him here and there like we always did the group.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Sadly, i know zip about ducks - the peeps on the "Duck" forum should be able to advise.

Best wishes
CT

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm going to move this thread to the Ducks section, so one of the more experienced duck owners can advice. Best of luck and thank you for looking out for the poor thing! I hope things will work out well for him.

Hi and welcome to BYC glad you could join us feel free to make your self at home and ask as many questions as needed. I and many others are always here when you need some help or helpful tips and pointers for anything that you may think of I am sure there is someone to help.

Last edited:
If the "ducks" are the ones in your profile pic, those look like geese. And that would explain the hissing as well.

I might lead him down to the water so he can make friends down there, but maybe they were already hanging out there.
Another option would be to place an ad on CL and see if anybody might want to integrate him into their flock.

Back
Top Bottom