Wild pesky chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mystus808, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mystus808

mystus808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    How do i get rid of this chicken?

2. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    Might need to give us some more information so we know what the problem is. [​IMG]

3. mystus808

Jan 15, 2011
    There is this hen (i think) that has just recently been hanging in my yard ( fenced in but enough room at the bottom to get in) and I can't seem to get rid of it. I don't want it to give my chickens any diseased or lice or stuff like that. It hangs around my runs so i chase it and its like a cartoon im running around and so is the chicken. I have a dog but she just watches and I swear she is laughing at me. I tried spraying it with water and got it out of my yard but it came back in like 10 minutes. I am almost about to get a sling shot or bb gun ready but I would rather not get that extreme, or get my cousin's dog/s they will seriously chase it.

Up the street there is a hen with teen chickens and they look exactly the same so I thats where it came from. About 3 teen chickens and a rooster alittle bit farther.

4. Paraclete

Paraclete Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Norco
    I have this same issue, not so bad for me though since the unwanted birds are in the front yard and not in the back with my birds. What I did was baited a small dog cage with scratch and when the birds were in I pulled a thin rope attached to the door and trapped them. How I got the rooster in my profile pic.
    Now if I didn't want them I could of taken them to an animal shelter and let them do what they will.

5. mystus808

Jan 15, 2011
    I did something similar, same end result I took it up the road let it go and then later that day..." ooooohhhhh look another chicken, way wat is that thing doing back here"

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's known as the homing instinct. It's possessed by all animals to some degree or other. Capture and give a ride to animal control.

7. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Last winter neighbor came over asked if we where missing a chicken nope not us. Son caught the chicken. It belonged to a neighbor someone had cut her Pen open and allowed her chickens to escape I would trap and take to others that have chickens and make sure it belongs to them. It could have been someone dropping off the chicken since others had chickens. Good Luck maybe trap and quarantine then keep.

8. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    I agree with schellie69 ~ Trap it, Quarintene it and then just keep it. It's just going to keep coming back, so just treat for lice/mites, maybe worm it, definately quarintene it for a while, then its all yours. What breed do you think it is? Have a picture?

If you just don't have the room for anymore chickens, then I'd take it to the human society. They should be able to re-home it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by