Wild pheasant likes the chickens??

Fiasco

Chirping
Feb 28, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi!

I brought 6 hens and a rooster home the day before yesterday, and they're settling in wonderfully. But the funny thing is, this wild ring-necked pheasant has been hanging around their pen 24/7 since they arrived. He walks right up to the fence, and looks straight at the rooster! And the rooster just keeps an eye on him. Sometimes, when the rooster crows, this guy will let out a big squawk and stand up and flap his wings wildly, like he's showing off or challenging the rooster or something. It's really strange to see!

I put a dish of duck food out for him, since I figure he has to eat sometime and he hasn't left at all for this whole time. I'm not sure if he's eaten it yet. I really like the guy, I'm hoping I can feed him and sort of tame him eventually. He's really beautiful, although shy.

Do you have any idea what he could be doing?? Do you think he just wants to "be friends" with the chickens, or maybe he's looking for a mate? Has anybody had something like this happen before?

It almost sounds as if he has been unable to locate any ring neck hens, and since it's 'that time of year' the chicken hens are looking attractive to him.

Haha, I was wondering that myself. It does make sense! He could easily fly over our fence, but I think he's keeping a distance due to Mr. rooster, who watches him pretty closely!

I googled what would happen if they were to cross-breed, but it seems like most "phickens" die pretty early on...too bad, although the rooster wouldn't allow that anyways! The pheasant was still out there last I checked, when I was putting the chickens to bed at dusk. He's pretty determined! I kinda feel bad for the guy, no mate to be found for him. :(

For the past few days, the pheasant has been hanging around their run without a break. Every time I look out, he's in the woods right beside them (the run is backed up into the forest), and they're just inches apart. Yesterday, I even noticed that while Rocky, my rooster, was on one side of the run, all of the hens were gathered at the other side. I looked a little closer, and there the pheasant was beside them, just the fence separating them. They chose to follow him instead of the rooster! Love at first sight.

This morning, when I went out to release the chickens from the coop, the pheasant was in their run! He froze when he saw me, and I (thinking, "this is my chance to let the chickens meet him!") opened the chicken coop door and let them pile out. I was keeping a close eye on Rocky, in case he would challenge the pheasant, but he didn't even seem to take notice of him. The pheasant was clearly terrified of me, though, trying to barge through the fence to get out. I felt so sorry for the poor guy. I tried to hurry through filling up their feed, so that I stand back and see what would happen. I finished quickly, and was about to leave, but then I saw that the chicken coop door had closed (I'd forgotten to prop it back) and a hen was still inside. So I had to go back in to open it up, but when the pheasant saw me coming again, he really freaked out. He took off at a near-vertical flight, barely missing the treetops as he made his escape.

Too bad, I was hoping something magical would happen and he would be friends with them! Hopefully this won't scare him away for good...but no, I just heard him squawk again. I don't think he'll be giving up too easily! We'll see what happens in the next few days...

Last edited:
I'll try! Although every time he sees me, he goes running in the other direction. He has slowed down a bit though, maybe he's slowly getting more comfortable with my presence. I'll do my best and see what I can get! :)
Excited to see where this story goes... can you get a picture of him?

I just went out there, and snapped a picture as quickly as I could before he was too far away. I apologize for the poor quality!
IMG_20180521_185233.jpg

..But, if you'd like to get an idea of what he looks like, this guy is pretty much identical:

rnph_500.jpg

Kinda funny-looking and beautiful at the same time! :)

Back
Top Bottom