WILD Pheasants Wild.......

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by firstchicken, May 24, 2010.

1. firstchicken

firstchicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2009
    Washington State
    Hi,
    I have a couple of baby Ringnecks that already have their feathers and they are all over the pen as wild as can be, [​IMG] whenever I feed and water them they try to fly and hit the top of the pen w/ their head,[​IMG] and they run out of the way really fast,just all over the place....So my question is are the Pheasant ever going to get a little more tame as they grow like chickens do? Or should I just learn to live with it LOL [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    If their ringnecks they probably won't [​IMG]

3. turkaholic

turkaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2010
    Maryland
    Quote:Their little brains are wired like that. They sometimes test my patience . If you want a calmer bird, I suggest the jumbo ringneck variety. They will be less fighty and some of the roosters I had were very approachable.

4. NCIndiaBlue

NCIndiaBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    NC
    My year-old Ringnecks are pretty flighty, but the male is very calm around me, and the females rarely fly with me in the pen, but they definitely avoid me. My Red Golden's are completely calm around me, they actually greet me when I come in their pen - they are much more like a chicken - temperament wise.

5. firstchicken

Aug 16, 2009
    Washington State
    Well I kinda expected them to be that way Ill just have to wait and see, I like them just the way they are naturally wild [​IMG]

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:HA HA! IF THATS ALL THEY ARE DOING THEY ARE TAME! lol [​IMG]

7. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Its been my experience that the pheasants brain takes alot longer to understand that you are there source of food.. but once the connection is made, they will not be as flighty... my Java Peafowl, pheasants, and curassow are not flighty anymore... unless I get too close,, which is normally about 5 feet for the pheasants and about 10 feet for the peafowl and curassow.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Be Careful What You Wish For....

I Have A Jumbo Cock ---- Was The Odd Man Out As A Youngster, All The Rest Picked On Him So Bad He Had To Seperated Or They Would Have Killed Him. He Was Beat Up Pretty Good When We Seperated Him, So We Nursed Him Back To Health And My 11yo Daughter Made A Lapdog/ Baby Out Of Him. This Was All Well And Good Until He Matured And Now Has A Harem Of Breeders At His Disposal--- Now When I Go Into The Pen To Collect Eggs I Have To Fight Off A Very Territorial And Aggressive Large Male Pheasant That Has No Fear Of Humans--- This Often Leads To Him Having Bruises On His Chest And Side Of His Head... Yet He Still Tries, Almost Everytime, He Tries...

9. firstchicken

Aug 16, 2009
    Washington State
    Quote:Yah their pretty appreciative when I give them water when I discover that their all out. They
    go through water like crazy but a little slower with the food, But I think that will change as they grow, about the size of quail now...[​IMG]

10. Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil Chillin' With My Peeps

I just realized that my baby ringneck pheasants are 11 days old already.... and BOY are they Flighty.
    This is my father' as well my first time raising pheasants.
    We have 8 adults, 4 hens and 4 Roosters, with 17 baby ring necks already hatched.

They sure do fly around the brooder alot. I will be moving them to my outdoor brooder withing the next few days.
    Have a 5x5 brooder inside a 10x10 shed, going to be building another 5x5 and have both removable for easy clean up.

live in Alberta, and yet to experience a winter with birds, as things started up for us this spring so I have some searching to do.

Looking forwards to hearing about your Pheasant adventures.

Cheers,

Jonny Anvil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by