wild quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zajh6fd, Dec 8, 2014.

1. zajh6fd

zajh6fd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    I am looking for some wild Bobwhite quail. I have not had very good success with the incubator hatched and pen raised Bobwhite that I have raised and released. I have raised in isolation from most human interaction -- also I am using larger and taller flight pens --- am using more seeds etc that are available in wild --- all of these have helped but I am now looking to add some wild caught quail genetics to the flock . in the hope to further improve a the "wild side"
    Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. zajh6fd

Dec 3, 2014
    Addition to initial post: I should have signed off --- zajh6fd -- Z for short -- I live in northwest GA --- I has been a vey long time since I have seen a wild covey of quail. This the reason for my interest in quail. As child they where a lot around. And I loved seeing and hearing them.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my. Let's pretend for your sake you didn't ask that question here since capturing wildlife without a permit is highly illegal. Scavenging nests for eggs is also illegal. Even if the nest would be destroyed during construction or some such thing you aren't supposed to touch it at all.

Fish and game departments also learned that quail once captured will often waste and die when moved to a new location. This is a common happening though, many wild born animals will die if caged.

Releasing bobwhites without a permit is also highly illegal. Every state in the US requires a permit to raise bobs and further permitting to release them. Diseases like coryza, MG, and blackhead could be devastating to what local birds you have left and none of those diseases can be tested for or treated in quail. It is much better if caged birds are only released with the intention to collect them all such as a game bird shooting farm.

Further, restocking has proven for nearly 100 years to be completely ineffective. Restocked birds don't have the capacity to brood or raise young or evade predators. Hold over release birds surviving are common but in no way desirable genetically. Your birds breeding with wild stock would be a shame since they possess such diluted genetics. No matter how wild they seem in the flight pen they are domestic bobs and domestic bobs aren't wild bobs.

The real key to restoring a population is giving back their habitat. Brush piles and other hiding places as well as planting things they can reach to eat. They aren't going to jump to knock down the not always native "hay" grasses that grow across most of the nation. People removed their habitat and food sources which is why you don't see that many quail. Releasing more quail into an inadequate habitat with inadequate food is never going to solve the population problem with bobs in the Southern states. Generations of large scale farming made the bed that we all have to sleep in. Until you change the landscape you won't change the quail population.

http://www.noble.org/ag/wildlife/stockingbobwhite/
    http://www.wildlandforestry.com/Pages/bobwhite.aspx
    http://mdc.mo.gov/blogs/more-quail/why-we-dont-stock-quail

1 person likes this.
  4. zajh6fd

Dec 3, 2014
    This was not a helpful reply! Trapping and hunting wild quail is legal in Georgia. Pen raised bird are sold and released on hunting preserves all across the south by the thousands every year. There is lots of great habitat around my "neck of the wood". I don't know about your area, but I sure your working on improving the hunting, habitat and farming methods in your "neck of the woods".

5. zajh6fd

Dec 3, 2014
    Oh my. Let's pretend for your sake you didn't ask that question here since capturing wildlife without a permit is highly illegal. Scavenging nests for eggs is also illegal. Even if the nest would be destroyed during construction or some such thing you aren't supposed to touch it at all.

This was not a helpful post. I understand everyone opinion but please don't hi-jack a post too express yours.

Trapping and hunting quail is legal all across the southeastern US and in all other states that I am aware of -- get real. Hunting preserves release pen raised birds (quail and pheasants) by the thousands every year. It is not going to stop. I suggest the introduction of wild DNA, may help.
    The habitat in my "neck of the woods" is great, just no quail. Lots of other birds and wild life. Maybe an over abundance of predatory animals, feral cats, raccoons, coyotes, mink, rats even hawks. They all love to eat quail. I need a quail that does doesn't act like a pork chop.

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    I am a licensed game breeder in Kansas. I have friends in most of the surrounding states that are the same in their state. Also have fellow game breeder friends from Rhode Island to Florida, New Mexico to Oregon. I can tell you for fact it is not legal, for anyone, to catch live wild birds or native animals, collect their eggs, or violate their nest in anyway. I, and all licensed breeders, must produce records where every animal, bird or egg was purchased and who it was sold too...... Coturnix is exempt from this..... A permit is required to release any native species into the wild. If you are caught trapping a possum or black snake on your land, and relocating it and releasing it in the woods. You will be fined...... Its good to see you are excited about the hobby. But spreading information that is just wrong is not useful. I wish you the best of luck.....

EDIT TO ADD: Ga says you cant release without a permit too: http://georgiawildlife.com/node/2256

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. zajh6fd

Dec 3, 2014
    Permits are not difficult to obtain

8. zajh6fd

Dec 3, 2014
    One more note possessing a live quail whether wild or pen raised is not illegal.

9. zajh6fd

Dec 3, 2014
    I noted your reference to Georgia Wildlife laws. The law you are referencing to applies to Hunting Preserves --- not individual property owners on private property --- Please don't make generalities. I am sure you as a licensed game breeder who sells game birds (probably for profit) to the public and subject to a lot rules and regulation regarding the raising and selling of your birds. Government involvement is very limited on my scale and interest.

10. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

You are chastising us for "generalizations" that are 1000% fact and not really generalizations at all.

You are subject to all of the same laws we are. Most states do not distinguish between a backyard hobbbyist and a breeder, unless the breeder is the multi-thousand bird range. The laws regarding capture and harassment of wild animals are mostly federal laws anyway. It is illegal everywhere in this country to capture a wild animal with the intent to breed or keep it, unless you have a permit.

You really should contact your state fish and game dept. You do have to have a permit for keeping bobwhites, unless all you are doing is consuming them for meat. We aren't trying to pick on you or shut you down, but the laws are in place for good reason.

Beyond federal laws it states very clearly in your state laws if you'll read the pen raised quail section of that link, that capture of wild quail illegal.

Below are two relevant quotes directly from your state law;

"Is it legal to trap wild quail or collect wild quail eggs and use these as a source for penraised
    quail?

- It is illegal to trap wild quail or collect wild quail eggs as a source for pen-raised quail

Do I need a permit to raise and sell pen-raised quail?

- Yes, a Commercial Quail Breeder license (#026) is required to propagate pen-raised quail for
    commercial purposes. This license is available for review

Do I need a permit to release pen-raised quail on my land or land I lease for noncommercial
    hunting and/or training bird dogs?

-A shooting preserve license is not required to release pen-raised quail, on land you own or
    lease, for the training of bird dogs. However, you must retain proof of purchase of the pen-raised
    quail, along with the name of the commercial quail breeder where purchased, and have the
    approval of the landowner if leasing the property.

- Any person who hunts or allows hunting of pen-raised quail, non-commercially, outside the
    statewide open season for hunting quail will need a private shooting preserve license.
    Do I need a permit to hold pen-raised quail for non-commercial hunting or for personal
    consumption?

- Yes, a game holding permit (quail only) is required to hold and release pen-raised quail for the
    purpose of propagation into the wild or for other non-commercial purposes. This license is
    available for review and download on our website, http://www.georgiawildlife.com/commerciallicenses.

- No permit is required if pen-raised quail are held for personal consumption only. However,
    you must retain proof of purchase of the pen-raised quail, along with the name of the commercial
    quail breeder where purchased."

You are allowed to release bobs privately with the intent to restock in your state. However it's pretty clear that you must have a permit for keeping them if you intend to release them, and there are no circumstances that ever allow you to capture them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by