1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"WILD" temperature swings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wilkey44, Nov 27, 2010.

1. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I think sometimes people forget that chickens were once a wild bird and eggs are designed to survive things that would drive us up a wall trying to control. Over the years I have seen hens with so many eggs under her that they were hanging out and almost all hatched.

When a egg is under a hen it gets not only rotated from side to side but from middle to outside and outside to middle, so a temp swing is enormous and eggs need a temp break every once and awhile.

In the wild a hen would run off the eggs to get a preditor to follow her and could be gone for hours and eggs have been living threw this for millions of years

The biggest thing I would hope that people would relax about is the hatch rate, its a miracle that a chick hatchs anyways so many things have to go right over 18-21 day and so many things can go wrong, all we can do is the best we can.

"Just a quick thought"

John

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    When hens are broody, they are controlled by instinct in which they feel the need to hatch eggs. Because of this, they just know what they can and cannot do. Unfortunately, incubators do not have this capability, so even if comething small goes wrong, it can be catastrophic for the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by