Wild Turkey Eggs In Incubator

85shadow

Hatching
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Well, I have had my 10 wild turkey eggs (found abandoned) in the incubator exactly one week. Since I did not know how far along they were I have been turning them 3X per day. I came home a little while ago and turned them for the second time today and I thought that I heard a noise. I put on some hearing protectors that have sound amplification and I DEFINITELY heard a peep! Should I stop rotating the eggs at this point? Should I put both plugs back in the incubator to increase humidity? When should the hatching process start?

Thanks to all who reply.

Susan

It sound slike you'll have some babies soon! I'm no expert, but I think if you hear peeping you should raise the humidity. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in. Congrats!

did you ever candle the eggs???

and it was the same way with my ducklings i didn't know how far along they were so i stop turning them after i saw the first pip.. they didn't start pipin till they started to peep but turkeys are different from ducks...lol

I hope you give us some pictures. My DH wants to do Turkey eggs. Good luck.
fl.gif
wee.gif

Quote:
Both of those plugs should be out the last 3 days of incubation. It helps circulate the air. My incubator instructions says to open both vents the last 3 days. I just add extra water to get that humidity up!!!

Well, it looks like things have gone VERY good for us. We have eight turkeys. They hatched over a 24 hour period. There are two eggs that have not hatched. These poults are very cute. They are pecking at food and a few have taken a drink of water.

Quote:
I just found this post, I know It's been a few years for you, but any advice for raising a wild turkey? We found a wrecked nest on our property, only one intact egg, put it under a broody hen, finished it off in the incubator. Now I have a wild turkey that's 3 days old.

I have ~16 chickens. All free range egg layers, no penning whatsoever, all large fowl. I plan to keep the turkey with the chickens, but raising it in the house for now. The dogs and cats do keep predators away.

My concern is turkey season.....have lots of acreage, but can't keep all of the hunters away. Maybe it's a little premature to worry, it will probably die long before then!

I feed it non-medicated starter crumbles. TSC brand.

My avatar is just a wild tom showing off for my hens a few years ago, not related, probably.

Thanks!

i just had to jump in. i have 14 wild turkey eggs in the bator. i found them while i was bushoging. the hen flew off and i snatched them up. no idea how long she had been sitting. i candled them and none where clear but rather cloudy. i will candle again in a week. one egg i saw a tiny head moving in it. good luck hatching and raising them.

Good luck to you, too! Mine took 29 days to hatch from the time it was taken from the nest, but I think that it was a fresh nest, as shattered eggs didn't even have visible blood spots.

Back
Top Bottom