wild turkey mama

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Paulo515, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Paulo515

Paulo515 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2009
    We have three, six week old Narragansett poults that are in a pen out in the yard. Monday night when we came home there was a wild turkey female hanging around the pen. She has been there ever since. If we go out there she does the wounded wing routine to try and lead us away just like they were hers. The babies are under a tree where my barred rocks and guineas hang out. The wild mama is just hanging out with everybody now.[​IMG]

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I have never seen any wild turkeys where I live. Instead we get lots of quail and a few pheasants that have learned where to get a easy meal. I worry about disease. I have been disease free for alot of years. Other than the wild birds that I can't do much about, I don't allow visitors near my birds. We had a big scare 7 years ago with some cases of Exotic Newcastle Disease. My birds where quarantined and tested clean. All my neighbors birds where destroyed. Two large egg ranches where put out of buisness. I was in the middle of moving and I was told I could not move. It was a pain but I am glade my birds where fine. I was very lucky they did not kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by