wild turkey nest

Anita Scott

Songster
5 Years
May 21, 2017
Thornfield, MO
My husband was mowing and rescued 10 eggs from a wild turkey nest.
We have no idea how far along she was. I have hatched hundreds of guinea eggs and figure that candling should be similar. All of the eggs seem to be progressing fine. 3 of the eggs seem to be pretty full, so I put them on the bottom without the turners.
So far after 3 days, there is still no pipping. We have had the eggs in the incubator for 2 weeks and guessing, compared to guinea eggs they were about 10--14 days old when we put them in.
I have searched on line and can't seem to find a chart for candling turkey eggs. The closest thing was for duck eggs.
Does anyone have any turkey candling pics for the last 2 weeks?

Candling for air cell growth would be the same for ducks and turkeys.

Guessing development is much tougher though.

How did the hatch go?
We hatched 6, but only 3 survived. I think that we are getting pics of them on our trail cams, 2 hens and a jake.
The turkeys were very skiddish, much like the Guineas. We kept them in the large brooder box until about 6 weeks old. Then we introduced them to our broadbreasted turkeys. The wild turkeys wanted nothing to do with them. They all roosted together and we put them in a large cage at night before we put up the older birds. In the day, we closed up the turkey coop and let the little ones run around. The end of November, I left the door opened and they left for the woods. We figured they were old enough to survive by now. We lost our BBB Tom this spring and replaced him with 7 standard Bronze poults. They are now about 4 weeks old and going outside a little every day. They are nothing like the wild turkeys as far as personalities.

My husband was mowing and rescued 10 eggs from a wild turkey nest.
We have no idea how far along she was. I have hatched hundreds of guinea eggs and figure that candling should be similar. All of the eggs seem to be progressing fine. 3 of the eggs seem to be pretty full, so I put them on the bottom without the turners.
So far after 3 days, there is still no pipping. We have had the eggs in the incubator for 2 weeks and guessing, compared to guinea eggs they were about 10--14 days old when we put them in.
I have searched on line and can't seem to find a chart for candling turkey eggs. The closest thing was for duck eggs.
Does anyone have any turkey candling pics for the last 2 weeks?
Candling for air cell growth would be the same for ducks and turkeys.

Guessing development is much tougher though.

How did the hatch go?

We hatched 6, but only 3 survived. I think that we are getting pics of them on our trail cams, 2 hens and a jake.
The turkeys were very skiddish, much like the Guineas. We kept them in the large brooder box until about 6 weeks old. Then we introduced them to our broadbreasted turkeys. The wild turkeys wanted nothing to do with them. They all roosted together and we put them in a large cage at night before we put up the older birds. In the day, we closed up the turkey coop and let the little ones run around. The end of November, I left the door opened and they left for the woods. We figured they were old enough to survive by now. We lost our BBB Tom this spring and replaced him with 7 standard Bronze poults. They are now about 4 weeks old and going outside a little every day. They are nothing like the wild turkeys as far as personalities.
1309595-df5a04e696f64e7d26fafb0492ddbddb.jpg

Thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom