Wild Turkey pic **Updated** lots more pics

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Struttn1, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I snapped this pic of some of the wild turkeys that are hanging around a beanfield down the road. Take note of the white phased hen in the flock. I am wondering if my Royal Palm gobbler got frisky with a wild hen last spring. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flock was back in the field today with a whole lot more company.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Thanks for posting those shots. Hope our weather holds so our WE's start to proliferate again (usual flocks of 20-30 down into the low teens). Sure hope the pale hen chooses her nesting site carefully - not a color conducive to survival, bummer.

Here's a little WE info from across the border in MO.: http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/ (4/09 Turkey Mathematics)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Great pics! What a sight... We have wild turkey in our area too, I love to see them. Haven't seen a flock that big tho'. Thanks

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    That one looks like it has the Narragansett pattern. Mixing between wilds and backyard turkeys aren't terribly rare.. so are the occasional backyard hens leaving to join and breed with wilds. I've heard of people seeing "lilac" wilds(probably mix of wild & blue slate).

Personally I would love to see the various heritage colors on a wild turkey body type.. They'd look a lot prettier but ah, less productive for home use I guess..

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

We have flocks of about 40-50 that circulate around the neighborhood, nesting behind and in front of the house for the night. Interestingly we do not see babies. I have stumbled across a hen sitting, but never seeing the young.
    I appreciate the pic of the white hen, I thought I saw a bit of Narri in the wild flock tho.
    Sitting in the lawn chair yesterday, a wild hen walks up to me, eating the bread I tossed on the ground, marches up to the fence between them has a neat little conversation, he struts and then she realized I was a person.
    Today she came back to visit with no luck, he was roosting and there was 3 of us standing watching her pick up rocks and stuff, then she walked off.
    Not sure, but we may have some off looking birds come fall!
    Thanks for commenting and sharing your flock of wild birds.

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    Beautiful!! we have a wild flock close by here. But we don't see them in the fall and winter much. Can't wait till they come out in the fields this spring!!

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

mmmm... fried turkey with dressing and mashed taters!

8. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Awesome flock! We get flocks that big coming down into the hay fields in the spring. Those gobblers just make me pysched for spring gobbler season!
    [​IMG]

9. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I heard a wild hen calling to my gobblers from the woods behind my house. She could be the same hen who hatched out the narraggy.

According to Porter Royal palm + Eastern Wild= Narraggy.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm [​IMG]

10. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Struttn1 wrote: Take note of the white phased hen in the flock. I am wondering if my Royal Palm gobbler got frisky with a wild hen last spring.

i certainly wouldn't be advertising there that your allowing your turkey to breed with wild turkeys. surly destroying the wild turkey gene pool.

Your local DNR would probably love to here this one..

Luckily your not in my state or i would have reported you if i knew who your were.. [​IMG]

Hate seeing people to allow this to happen to are wild life resources.. [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by