Wild turkey question

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JonathanL23, Feb 3, 2015.

1. JonathanL23

JonathanL23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    I got 3 almost 2 year old turkeys almost a week ago and they share a half wild tom I had him for about 2 weeks. I wanna let them out side in the pen for a few hours during the day but will they run away I know they can fly pretty good but will they wanna leave the barn. The last owner said he tried to set them free but they just ended up staying around his house. Also this spring or summer if they have babies will the babies stay with the mom or will they wonder away. I'm thinking the hens will know the toms the leader and as long as he stays home or in the pen they will to.

2. norcalbirds

norcalbirds Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    I usually pen myn for a month so they know that's there new home. I usually let a couple out and leave a couple in the pen to make them stay around. I always cut there feathers so no long distance flying but usually after a couple days of letting only a couple out at a time they get the point. Make sure your feeding them good so they have no reason to want to leave. Best of luck you will find out one way or another

3. JonathanL23

Nov 20, 2014
    How do you cut the wings I seen videos but how do you tell if there blood feathers.

4. norcalbirds

Dec 30, 2012
    You never cut the big or "flight feathers" at the end of the wing. I cut the feathers that are right after the big flight feathers u will see they are noticeably smaller. I only cut the feathers about half the size of there regular size. I can do it with my eyes closed but describing it is a little tough lol hopefully someone can help me here lol

5. JonathanL23

Nov 20, 2014
    Ifmi do like this person and cut the last layer of feathers in half I should be good right. Also after you clip the wings how high can they jump

6. norcalbirds

Dec 30, 2012
    Ya start safe you don't want to even try this if your not sure. They do jump and kinda flutter so they can jump but def not fly away. I only cut one wing so if they do try to fly they can't go straight lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by