1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wild turkey with severe sinuitus or airsacculitis

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by madaboutmaude, Dec 28, 2013.

1. madaboutmaude

madaboutmaude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2013
    Hello everyone, I have a wild turkey that found us. We have had her for 2 months now and have been battling this swollen face. She is currently in our pool shed with a heat lamp and small radiant heater. We live in Ontario, and since she has taken I'll, we have been keeping her warm she has no interest in going outside. She is eating and drinking . We currently have her on turkey maintenance as we have little to no access to worms right now. She also tetracycline in her water andhasbeengoing to a farm vet for a shot of antibiotics every 2 weeks forthelast month and a half. The first needle seemed to take the swelling down by at least half, but since then, she seems tobeless responsive. My husband and have started to drain her cheeks with a syringe, getting massive amounts out phlegm like substance out. It seems she has relief after we remove itbutthenext day she's swollen right back full again. We have found a us company that will ship us tylan 50. Should be here within the week. Is it normal thatthefluid just keeps returning? She is otherwise happy and seems content. I have been faithfully reading this forum and without your posts we would have surely lost her by now. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You may want to post in the Turkey section of the Forum for more informed responses. Unfortunately it sounds like the bird has one of the several chronic respiratory infections that birds can get. Often these may be treated to reduce symptoms, but are seldom cured and birds can remain chronic carriers of infection. I would consider her to be a great risk for other poultry, and you should avoid going to anyone's home if they keep domestic birds, or to have anyone that keeps birds to your home.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. madaboutmaude

Dec 28, 2013
    Thanks for your help. I will do everything I can for her. Fortunately I have no friends that have birds of any kind, and I don't plan on acquiring any more lol.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with your turkey hen.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Hope the turkey improves. X3 you might want to try posting in the Emergencies and Turkey forums also for some antibiotic suggestions.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined us today! :)
    Try the emergency and diseases sections, hope your turkey gets better!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG] glad you could join us [​IMG]

Ya I wouldn't think she would want to go out side if you got it all nice and comfortable in a nice shed and you taking care of her every needs that is one lucky hen ...... and yes the fluid will keep returning as the body is fighting an infection ........ [​IMG]

Here if you want you can try this boil up a couple of eggs and peal them and then mash up the egg and put in a little of her feed and give her this as it will give her some of the natural nutrients to help her and some natural yogurt only to help fight off this horrid infection and maybe she will feel a little better [​IMG]

So what are the different food's you are giving this hen [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

9. madaboutmaude

Dec 28, 2013
    We are currently giving her turkey grower. We figure she is now about 7 months old. She was a very good hunter before the snow came, and loves her worms. She had some apple, and some corn, but primarliy the turkey grower. I will try the yogurt and egg suggestion for sure! You said that she will continue to have the fluid while she's fighting the infection. Would it make sense that the tylan 50 will kill off the infection and then we should see reduction in the fluid? Also do you know why the colour of the fluid has changed from yellow to dark brown? Over the last 3 days ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by