Wild turkey with the hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eastins Eggs, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    We have a wild turkey hen that has moved in with the chicken flock and wont leave even with other wild turkeys in the area. Has any one else ever had this happen.

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I'll bet she's not a hen [​IMG] and "she's" in love with your tasty buffet and the prospects of adoration......

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    I have 2 wild turkey hens that are maybe 6 months old. They hang out in the yard all day
    and end up perched on my back porch at night. Well....just last night they started acting
    all weird right as the sun was going down, pacing back and forth in front of one of my chicken
    coops. I opened up the door and they ran right in and hopped up on their roost for bed (i don't
    think they've ever stepped foot in there). I guess they know where they are the happiest!

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    In NH we have these goofy looking little ground birds called wood cocks around. I have a nesting pair right next to my coop, which is unusual because wood cocks are so shy that most people don't even know they exist. I consider them my first line of defense against predators. I figure they will get snapped up before my chickens do should something hungry show up.

5. mendygnl

mendygnl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Glidden, IA
    We had a wild turkey hen that came and hung around for awhile, pooping on top of the vehicles, then lured the rooster away with her. The little hussy!

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I have a gorgeous pair of ringneck doves that have all but moved in with my chicken flock. They are right there with the chickens waiting for corn in the mornings, use their waterers, and seem to have no intentions of leaving--they've been here for months! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by