Wild Turkeys coming up to Pen woorried about mites/diseases

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cackle, Sep 12, 2008.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Over the last week I have heard what sounded like an exchange between the rooster and some wild turkeys. Monday I saw them on the gravel road and this morning they were at the end of the driveway. A little later I heard them in the pasture closer to the house and about a half hour later they were about 40 feet from the chicken pen. We took some pictures they are really good looking healthy birds. When I went outside a minute ago they are now standing right outside the pen. Should I run them off?

My husband went out and put a wide sprinkling of sevin dust outside of the pen where the chickens can not get to it. Not sure if it would help he just felt he needed to do something.

I just edited about an hour after the post and the turkeys are gone. For now at least.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They don't present any bigger risk than wild birds flying over or landing in you run.

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I agree with NYreds, wild birds be they turkeys, geese, crows or sparrows can all bring in diseases or parasites/ Those of use who free range our birds or have outdoor coops open to the air ie (do not keep them in biosecure buildings) run the risk of having the wild birds expose our chickens to something. Insects too can bring in diseases- that is where the tapeworms come from and some species of round worms.... Can't keep out the beetles and flies, even if you can net out the sparrows... pretty much impossible to completely protect them, so just enjoy the turkeys as long as they are not harassing the chickens or eating up the expensive layer ration...
    jess

4. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by